X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

cormacmacguardhe is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Kilted adventures

Have spent the last several days kilted full time. Really enjoying the freedom of the garment. Got several comments today, all of them positive. One that is a cause for some confusion. Was waiting in line at Trader Joe's the lady ahead of me glance at me several times, and then quietly asked me if I was "contra dancing". Not really sure what that is. Today at the local farmers market got compliments and a question about if I was a member of a singing group. Later was approached at a wholesale grocery by a gentleman who inquired as to where I got my kilt. I was wearing my SWK Leatherneck, told him about Stillwater and recommended for a first kilt the standard option. He did ask the question, which I politely deflected. All in all it has been a good week.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contra dance predates square dancing in the US. Contra dance roots go back English country dance with the name having French origins. It is not uncommon for men to wear skirts, typically long, at these dances.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    Contra dance predates square dancing in the US. Contra dance roots go back English country dance with the name having French origins. It is not uncommon for men to wear skirts, typically long, at these dances.

Mike
    Whew, I thought maybe it involved a Congressional Committee and Oliver North.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freedom has a price

Welcome to the FTK!

Some caveats:

Your experiences will be repeated, especially in places you've not been.

My girlfriend LOVES the reactions I get, but some friends are driven crazy
    by how often I am approached and the ensuing conversations.

For me, what few insults I get still sting.

When you just don't feel like chatting, grin broadly and keep moving.
    Scowling won't help.

Make some XMTS cards and keep them with you - it helps!
    Find power in peace,

-G
    FTK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're shopping at a Farmer's Market.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggibby View Post
    For me, what few insults I get still sting.
    Hmm, I don't think I've gotten any of those for about a decade.

Now that I think on it, though, that's about the point where I began wearing a circa-1700 style custom-made dirk whenever I wore the kilt. Could be a correlation there. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contra Dances are English Country Dances translated to the States. I understand they are similar to Scottish Country Dances. I never saw a man in a kilt or other wrapped garment at one. Look for one in your area. They typically teach people how to do the dances. Very social. Very nice.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    from Chicago. Sounds like you've had a great few days. Keep it up.
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
    Contra Dances are English Country Dances translated to the States. I understand they are similar to Scottish Country Dances. I never saw a man in a kilt or other wrapped garment at one. Look for one in your area. They typically teach people how to do the dances. Very social. Very nice.
    Speaking as a longtime contra dancer, I can tell you that "unbifurcated" garments are fairly common at least at US East Coast dances. A kilt shows up occasionally, as do variants on male African attire (dashiki) and other
    similar attire, c.f Arabian, Greek, Israeli, etc. Every now and then we do get someone in woman's skirt; not much dancer reaction beyond a raised eyebrow or two as long as the wearer otherwise behaves.
    It's a great social community, and most of the dancing is high-energy... think Scottish Country on Red Bull. The unwritten tradition is that there's always a live band so there's plenty of Celtic and American traditional music. It's EZ to learn because most of the figures are similar to the square dance figures you probably learned in third grade. Ever do a Virgina Reel?...that's a contra formation (long lines down the hall, etc.)
    Also, in 99% of cases, the caller or dance leader teaches the dance before the music; after two or three walk-thru's the music starts.
    We even have folks that come to our monthly dance just to listen to the band; since they don't dance we let 'em in for 1/2 price.

Try it; you'll like it and your kilt will be welcomed. If you're interested, a particularly good website is <tedcrane.com/DanceDB> which allows searches by state, band, caller, etc.

(For reference, and blatantly stolen off our local dance's website...)

"Contra dancing is a spirited form of American traditional dance. It draws from many other forms of dance including square, round, Scottish and English country, Appalachian, and European dances of the 1800s. Dancers come from all age groups. Kids, 'tweens, teens, young adults, "grown-ups" and seniors can all become skilled and experienced dancers.
    The origin of the name "contra" is lost in history. It may be a changed form of "country" dancing or it may have come from the Latin for "across" or "opposite".
    Dancers line up facing their partner, forming long lines down the hall. The caller or dance leader teaches the dance before the music starts. This walk-through helps everyone learn the figures to be danced.
    The figures are danced with the next couple in the line. The whole set of figures takes only 64 beats of music (about 30 seconds or so), and the last figure directs you and your partner to the next couple in the line. You begin the dance again with the new couple.
    Part of the fun is that as a couple, you'll get to dance with everyone in the line. When you get to the end of the long line, turn around, trade places and get ready to dance your way back.
    Most dances are best performed at a brisk walk in time with the music -- generally 115 to 130 beats per minute. The musicians will play a variety of jigs, reels, hornpipes and marches throughout the evening.
    There is a break in middle of the evening, usually with light refreshments and snacks. The last musical number of each half is often a waltz."
    Last edited by CameronCat; 3rd August 10 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fumblefingers