X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding the Wife's clan

My wife is trying to connect with her Scottish Ancestry, but we're having trouble coming up with any links. I am hoping someone on XMarks may have some info!

The Facts
    -surname is Slimmon, related to the Saxon name Sleeman
    -Family originated in England, possibly Devonshire, but moved to The Scottish Border (Kelso area) during the 13th century
    -During the 16th century spread to Northern Ireland and in the 17th to the New World
    -I have looked at various Lowland clans and where possible their septs, looking for any name that resembles Slimmon or Sleeman. The closest one appears to be Swinton.

If anyone has even the littlest tidbit of info please share! She's lining up her first tartan skirt and wants to learn more about her clan, tartan selection, etc.

Thanks gang!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link below shows the surname distribution in 1881, primarily in Dumfriesshire. Given that's Lowland/Borders there was probably not an actual link to a Highland Clan/tartan. Perhaps more genealogical research on her side is necessary or she might consider a general/ district/ fashion tartan.

David

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk...y=GB&type=name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Surnames Database: Slimmon - This most interesting and unusual surname has two possible derivations. Firstly, it may be of Old Scandinavian origin, from the Old Norse "slaegr", Middle English "sligh", skilful, clever, cunning, expert, and was most probably a nickname denoting someone who was cunning or crafty, with the Olde English suffix "mann", man, hence "slighman", a crafty man. Secondly, the surname may be of early medieval English origin, from the Middle English "sleze, sleye, slay(e)", an instrument used in weaving to beat up the weft, a weaver's reed or shuttle, and the suffix "mann", and may have been an occupational name for a maker or user of the instrument. Hence, the surname is a variant of a name deriving from either of these two sources. Other surnames from this source include Sleemmonds, Sliman, Slimming, Slimmon, Sleeman, Slyman, and Slemming. The surname first appears in the late 13th Century (see below), while Auicia Scleyman is recorded in 1327 in the Subsidy Rolls of Cornwall. One Thomas Sleman, of St. Hillary, aged 18 yrs., was one of the early settlers in St. Christopher's, the Barbadoes, having embarked from Plymouth in March 1633. John Slyman married Elnor Stenlake on January 20th 1553 at Modbury in Devonshire, while Anna Slimon, daughter of John and Ann Slimon was christened on April 24th 1703 at St. George's, Shillingford in Devonshire. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Thomas Sleman, which was dated 1277, in the "Court Rolls of the Manor of Wakefield", Yorkshire, during the reign of King Edward 1, known as "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Surnames Database: Sleeman -This interesting and unusual surname is a variant of Sly, which is of early medieval English origin, and is one of that large group of English and Continental surnames that were gradually created from the habitual use of a nickname or byname. These were given in the first instance with reference to, for instance, a person's physical attributes, mental or moral characteristics, fancied similarity to an animal's or bird's appearance or disposition, habits of dress, occupation, and the unusual category of "phrase-names", which grew from the person's frequent use of a phrase, such as "Goodyear" and "Pardew", from the French "par Dieu". In this instance the nickname was given to someone considered to be sagacious, cunning, or crafty, derived from the Midland and Southern Middle English word "sligh, slegh", sly, clever, from the Old Norse "slaegr", with the Middle English "man", man. The modern surname can be found as Sleeman, Slemmonds, Slemming, Slimming, Sliming, Slimmon, Sliman, Slee and Slyman. Among the recordings in London is the marriage of Anthony Slee and Agnes Pawson on December 8th 1588 at St. Stephen's, Coleman Street.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since clan affiliation was at least as dependent upon geographical location as it was on one's surname, I think your wife could quite safely wear the Kerr tartan. The Kerrs were incredibly influential in Kelso and were probably running things at the time your wife's ancestors were living there.

I wish I knew where my ancestors were living as far back as your wife does! She is very lucky to have that information!
    Last edited by Cygnus; 10th September 10 at 07:23 AM.