X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted Golfer DENIED Play at Royal Troon because of the kilt

As many may know I am currently on a golf oddysey through the Auld Country (Scotland) this week and playing many of the famous courses that hold British Open Championships on a rotating basis. I am playing kilted, of course, and also spending my free time kilted, virtually every waking moment. Played Turnberry yesterday kilted and had a blast. Will post a photo montage soon as we finish the week.

Today I played at Royal Troon just north of where we spent the night in Prestwick. Showed up properly kilted and looking grand and was denied my right to play because there is a rule against men playing in shorts, and they equated my kilt to shorts. Final decision was made by the CaddieMaster of all people, as he was the highest ranking official present at the time, and he did not even bother to come and see how I was dressed before making his decision. Here is what I looked like when I showed up to play:

16oz Handsewn 8yard custom weave Ancient Red Douglas kilt, black Nike mock T under a cable cotton sweater, proper kilt hose and flashes, skunk skin sporran (thanks Bryce) because my golf game stinks, and proper matching black leathers.

Our driver had to race me 20 minutes back to the hotel to change into pants and I barely made it back to the course just as our group was teeing off. Needless to say I was already teed off in a different way, and it definitely affected my golf game, leaving me with a bad taste for the course and club in general. After the round back in the clubhouse I later spoke to the club golf pro, several senior members of the club, and folks in the guests dining room and they all thought that the decision of the CaddieMaster was wrong and that I should have been allowed to play kilted, especialy after I showed them the picture of what I had originally been wearing. Caddiemaster was less than cordial when I attempted to lodge my complaint with him, saying that men were not allowed to show bare leg on the course, period. Will be formally lodging a complaint with the secretary of the club, and writing a letter to the local newspaper about the incident as well. If you would like to write a supportive letter the email address is secretary at royaltroon dot com. Please feel free to mention my name (Jeff Foster) and the date of the event, today Monday August 9, 2010, and the CaddieMaster's name James. And feel free to give them hell. Needless to say I will never return without an official apology and invitation from the head of the club himself.

Off to Muirfield tomorrow, kilted again, and will see if they give me the same grief as Troon.

More to follow.

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life Is Stranger Than Fiction

Had this not come from someone I had seen post regularly and knew to be autherntic I would have thought this was another Internet hoax. What a joke!
    That this happened in Scotland is amazing. I do not even play golf, and if I find time I will send an email this evening. Seems like the National Tourist Board and a a Scottish heritage board should here of this.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear Jeff that is a shame. I am no golfer, so I have no knowledge of golfing, or, local golfing rules. I really hope that this unfortunate incident does not blight the rest of your visit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a copy of the e-mail which I have sent to the club secretary.

As a Scot I am ashamed and embarrassed to read on the internet of the treatment meted out earlier today by your Caddiemaster who allegedly demanded that an American guest Jeff Foster change out of his kilt before playing golf, without having even had the courtesy to view for himself how properly the gentleman was attired.
    Kilts may not be mainstream wear in Scotland but they are our national dress and it is only to be expected that guests who have Scottish ancestry may choose to wear the kilt while in Scotland. You do claim the title "Royal" Troon. Don't you realise that Prince Charles is a frequent kilt wearer while he is in Scotland?
    To play the control freak by demanding that a properly dressed gentleman change out of his kilt shows a total disrespect for your guests. Don't you realise that in post industrial Scotland we desperately need people like Jeff Foster to come to Scotland and support our tourism orientated economy? Treating a guest so badly is a disgrace to our homeland and I really feel that Mr. Foster and his tour operator should receive a full and honest apology. In light of this dark episode in your club's history, who could blame the tour operator if they choose to take their business elsewhere next year?
    Yours Sincerely,
    Alexander Cunningham
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is absolutly scandelous.I bet you would have been the smartest man on the course and the golf club should be ashamed to call itself Scottish. It was only a couple of years ago that a top Scottish golfer (can't remember his name) was advocating the virtues of playing in The Kilt.
    The Kilt is my delight !

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, just blasted them.

Semiomniscient is offline Membership voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I have some time to write out a tactful letter, I will send one their way. This is truly ridiculous. I would understand if you were in a non-traditional kilt, or in a traditional kilt with otherwise inappropriate attire... but you looked quite smart. I'm glad you were able to play, but I'm sorry that your game was off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a moronic attitude besides being inhospitable to a guest and insulting to Scotland's National Dress!

Anyone who does not know the difference between shorts and a kilt needs their head examining!

I have been kilted in many places where there is a no shorts rule with no problems whatsoever. People such as the security guard at the Cathedral in Barcelona clearly know the difference better than these guys in Troon.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt have believed it had the post not come from such a well liked and respected member on here, I might understand elswhere in the world but in Scotland there is no excuse for not letting such a well dressed Gentleman play in his host countrys national dress. When I get a few seconds Im going to send them my opinions too

Jordan
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

Totally amazing! I can't believe this happened in Scotland; here in the States, maybe. Anyway, I live in Latrobe, home to Arnie Palmer and the Latrobe CC. Come here someday to play. I bet you'll be just fine at LCC. I've been to the club on two occasions, not for golf, and received awesome comments from many of the gents, and ladies too.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Den

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast