X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 Sept. Friday, Boston - Kilt night

Calling the New England Kilted!

The evening of 10 September, our own Cessna152towser, will be arriving here in Boston from Hawick. It will be great if we can get a large turnout to greet Alex to New England. The event will be at The Haven, 2 Perkins St. Hyde Square in Jamaica Plain.

The Haven is a newcomer to the J.P. scene and is the only venue offering up real Scottish food. The premise is licensed for Beer and Wine, so it can not serve Whisky or any other "hard" liquor. The menu includes Scotch Eggs, and Haggis, neeps and tatties. Jason keeps a good selection of Scot Beers available. The facility is very cozy and is developing very well on a Scottish theme. The food is prepared supurbly and delivered rather promptly. (I think Jason got some lessons from Stillwater.) Jason hails from Glasgow. At the bar are many resources on bonnie Scotland. If you visit the loo, you may find some clan history and tartan information.

As this forum knows I wear the kilt everyday, and the kilt is very welcome at The Haven. I hope waddlers will be wearing his MacKay tartan kilt (USA Kilts) on 10 Septembre. He should be there, as he is the proprietor.

The best way to get there:

If by MBTA use the 39 Bus (Arborway - Back Bay Station). Get off on South Huntington at Perkins St. Walk down Perkins (Away from the funeral home) to the Haven on the right as you enter Hyde Square.

If by car, the parking can be difficult, but there is hope. It has been my observation that there are many spaces available in front of the funeral home and across South Huntington from it available most evenings.

Now as far as the timing goes. Alex is due at Logan at 6:30 P.M., it will take a bit to clear customs and get baggage, then the drive time from the Airport to the Haven. I hope that many can get there long before we do so as to provide a large welcoming group.

It will be a fun time and probably startle the area residents of Jamaica Spain when a tartan army invades.

Please post here if you can come so as to make sure that there is enough space available. Any questions, please PM.

Slainte,
    Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put my name down as an attendee.
    Friday night in a pub with a kilt wearing proprietor from Glasgow, and Scottish food, this reads very similar to a Dumfries kilt night.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex, I hope you are attending.... You are the guest of honour!

Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit about The Haven. It has been in operation for only nine weeks, and has introduced a bit Scottish food to the locals of Jamaica Spain.

A local Salvadoran, who frequents the pub with xmarker waddlers, the proprietor.

The Haven is on Perkins Street on the right, on the left is the Angell Memorial Hospital of the A.S.P.C.A.

The proprietor, with a display of Scottish beers above some Gordon tartan. To the left are a collection of books of Scottish culture that is shared with the patrons of the pub.

A close up of some of the Scottish beers imported to the pub.

There will be a piper at the event. The recommended time to start filtering in is around 7 P.M. Please post to this thread if you can come.

Slainte
    Last edited by SteveB; 22nd August 10 at 01:08 PM. Reason: picture code

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I could be there to welcome Alex to the region and to meet up with all of you. But with the start of the school year I won't be able to make the trip that night. Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Food

The Haven has a Chef schooled in Scottish traditional food.

Awaiting one at the bar is oatcake, Bellhaven Ale, and a Scottish Egg.

A close up of this delicious treat served with greens and spicy mustard.

A friend let me take a picture of her Havenburger and chips.

This is a Beef and Bellhaven Ale pie. No pictures of the contents because once I cut into it, I could not stop.

A view into the dining room.

The bar menu.

The view outside of the pub. With this rain, it was better to be inside.

I hope to get a good picture of the Haggis, neeps and tatties plate next time I am in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we drop the moniker

This is the neighborhood my grandparents and other family lived in for many years and where I spent many, many happy times as a child. I am sure there is no ill intention and it something that gets picked up in vernacular, but there was some bad history and difficult times that lead to the "Jamaica Spain" moniker, can you just call the old neighborhood, J.P. as one of those with fond memories of the old neighborhood. Jamaica Plain or JP work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A reminder that this kilt night is just over a week away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pints of Scottish Ale

As the Kilt night approaches, It is nice to note that on 10 Septembre, any one coming into The Haven in a kilt will have the first pint on the house. There will be a piper playing from about seven or so.

Remember the date and wear a kilt for a free pint of your choice.

Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid the 10th is already filled on my calander. If I do get away it won't be until later in the evening, and I will not be kilted. How late do you expect to be there? I could stop in if you think you'll still be there around 10:30.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast