X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the UK older women - such as myself, if approaching a strange man, male stranger, will stop at a little distance and make themselves known with 'excuse me' or 'can you direct me?'

Should the man be about the same age, wearing a hat and be willing to assist he would raise it just slightly and reset it, and then the woman would move a little closer so as to be able to speak in a normal voice.

If the man is hatless or has for some reason removed his hat then the slightest of bows conveys the same meaning. The woman will also make the same slight bow as she departs, and the man repeat the greeting gesture.

It is interesting to watch these courtesies amongst older people, in their 60 and older for the most part, as I doubt they are keenly aware of them.

I still recall the first time a man raised his hat at my approach (I was 19) and how I blushed, and how his eyes twinked to see it.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Both of these seem quite practical - the hat is a nuisance when kissing and having a hat in your hand ensures it doesn't start wandering places it shouldn't be going (in public, at least)! The platform of a train station is generally out of doors AND your hands are likely to be busy with luggage and such.

I imagine the wearing of a hat depends on the airport. If it's indoor and you've checked your luggage, it would be entirely appropriate to remove your hat (you are indoors, after all). If you board the plane directly from the tarmac, I imagine it would be best to keep your hat on as you could be called out to board at any moment.
    But, to follow the other piece of logic regarding not donning when in a train station, your hands may be full of luggage at an airport, too, even though it's indoors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    But, to follow the other piece of logic regarding not donning when in a train station, your hands may be full of luggage at an airport, too, even though it's indoors.
    Which is why I said this ahead of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    ...If it's indoors and you've checked your luggage...
    (Emphasis added)

But you are correct; if I were carrying a load of bags, the best place for a hat would be on my head!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hats on in buildings

In the lobby, concourse, or public areas of a building (such as a hallway, or railway platform) a gentleman leaves his hat on. When entering a "private" area, such as an office, the hat is then removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    In the lobby, concourse, or public areas of a building (such as a hallway, or railway platform) a gentleman leaves his hat on. When entering a "private" area, such as an office, the hat is then removed.
    I would also submit that it is a show of respect to remove your hat when entering someones home, (another "private area" as you mentioned).

I'm glad to see this topic come up, this knowledge is sorely lacking in today's world. Along with walking on the "street side" of a lady when your on the sidewalk...things like that. This stuff is not taught anymore, that I know of....and it's a shame, really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budd4766 View Post
    I would also submit that it is a show of respect to remove your hat when entering someones home, (another "private area" as you mentioned).
    I'd add churches to that list as well; it may be a "public" building, but I remember the scoldings I got as a boy for not removing my cap when going into the local church!

And thank you, Scott, for the clarification!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just now coming to this thread, and I'm really glad it's here. Please pass this along to every teenage boy you know, especially if he's in his twenties or thirties. "Hats" includes baseball caps.
    My late uncle couldn't abide hats being worn indoors, and once upon a time his son to supper with a baseball hat on. It didn't remain on his head very long, and he didn't remain upright in his chair very long, either. Now my uncle's grandson doesn't even remember he's wearing a hat, much less make any attempt to remove at meal time.

Things change, but sometimes they can change back, and for the better.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usage does differ depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on.
    Wearing a hat in a lift (elevator) is frowned upon in Britain and South Africa (and, I imagine, in Australia and New Zealand).
    The rules for saluting in uniform have changed in South Africa.
    It used to be (following British tradition) that soldiers only saluted when hatted. If indoors and hatted, they would still salute – unlike sailors, who do not.
    An acquaintance who served in the South African Navy found it very strange when military policement were sent to Simonstown to pick up a sailor and take him to detention barracks in Wynberg (Cape Town), they kept their caps on when entering the dockyard police office, and saluted.
    The army salute was also the traditional British one: longest way up, shortest way down. When at the salute, the hand and elbow were both fully extended.
    But in the new South Africa, our troops use the US salute, which to us old-timers is terribly sloppy.
    I believe the rule still stands in South African that a civilian (or a soldier in mufti) never salutes. I recall seeing the woman mayor of Grahamstown acknowledging a salute by tipping her bicorn hat.
    Cygnus, you are only too right about hat-wearing in church. But I recall that a minister’s son went unreprimanded when he wore a cap in our church.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to see this topic come up, this knowledge is sorely lacking in today's world. Along with walking on the "street side" of a lady when your on the sidewalk...things like that. This stuff is not taught anymore, that I know of....and it's a shame, really.
    Amen! Other lost courtesies include opening doors for ladies, helping a lady into and out of the car, helping a lady into and out of her coat, pulling the chair to seat a lady at the table, rising when a lady enters or leaves, etc. And there are even special rules of etiquette for those of us who have wives with very long hair.

I daresay that almost no one knows these courtesies any more, and will give you strange looks if you exercise them. But on the rare occasion that a woman recognizes the courtesy and expresses her appreciation, it's worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Amen! Other lost courtesies include opening doors for ladies, helping a lady into and out of the car, helping a lady into and out of her coat, pulling the chair to seat a lady at the table, rising when a lady enters or leaves, etc. And there are even special rules of etiquette for those of us who have wives with very long hair.

I daresay that almost no one knows these courtesies any more, and will give you strange looks if you exercise them. But on the rare occasion that a woman recognizes the courtesy and expresses her appreciation, it's worth it.
    Unfortunately, some extreme feminists decried this behavior as just another way to oppress women and men became a little "gun shy".

Personally, I will hold a door for ANYONE, but especially those who might need a little help (elderly, disabled, etc.). For me, it's just being polite, but it's also amazing how many people don't even consider it.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast