X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post When to Tip or Remove Ones' Hat

Historically, tipping a hat was practiced mostly by cowboys. Removing one's hat dates back to the days of chivalry when knights would raise their helmet shields as a sign of respect. But, no matter, gentlemen. According to the John B. Stetson Hat Company, founded in 1868, there are very specific rules that dictate when to tip your hat and when to remove it:

Tip Your Hat...
    If a woman thanks you.
    After receiving directions from a stranger.
    If you excuse yourself to a woman.
    When walking with a friend and he greets a woman you don't know.

Remove Your Hat...
    During the playing of the national anthem.
    On entering a building (one exception: you may keep it on in an elevator).
    During an introduction.
    When attending a funeral.
    When initiating a conversation.

There may be some exceptions to these rules/guidelines (piping at a funeral) but please remember that they are only meant to aid, they are not the be all and end all.
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there's a new U.S. "rule" that veteran's can now salute if covered while in civilian garb when the flag passes or the national anthem is played.

That is commonly practiced locally, and I've adopted it myself.

If that be true, rather than removing their hat, vets can stay covered and salute appropriately - regardless of the nature of the hat.

I'm sure our experts can clarify that....'tis a new thing though.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct Ron, that's been in a couple years. It does not say one has to be covered, but some branches have their own salute vs. cover traditions.

"New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag- The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag. The amendment does not address saluting the flag during the playing of the national anthem, pledge of allegiance, honors (i.e. Taps), or any other saluting situations."

Excerpt from H.R. 4986;

SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.
    Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking “all persons present” and all that follows through the end of the section and inserting the following: “all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.”
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does one tip his toupee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Abuser of Rubber Chickens View Post
    Does one tip his toupee?
    I would guess that depends how it is attached...glue, double-sided tape, bubble gum, staples...
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A while back, while accompanied by my two children, I encountered the writer Studs Terkel coming out of a building in Downtown Chicago. I had met Mr. Terkel on many previous occasions and this time I tipped the impossibly large cowboy hat that I was wearing upon meeting him. My kids thought that this was really funny but later came to understand that it was a genuine gesture of respect to the great man...after they read several of his books and came to understand his importance as a writer and social historian. Always understood that one tipped when meeting an older man who was held in respect by the community at large.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the UK, you remove your hat -

When passing or being passed by a funeral cortège (one also stops walking and stands still).

When walking through a lychgate at the entrance to a churchyard. Not necessarily in the churchyard itself.

When one is part of a funeral procession. Mourners, following the coffin are bare headed, but the gravediggers, (standing to one side, waiting for the internment to finish) are not.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memories come flooding back -

When passing or being passed by marching troops, one removes one's hat. If they are carrying colours, one also stops walking and faces the colours.

For some reason that I cannot remember, one removes one's hat when passing a woman pushing a baby carriage - regardless, of whether the woman is a maid, nanny or the mother.

When church-bells sound in the middle of the day, it usually means there is a funeral. At some point in the ringing the tenor bell will toll out the years of the persons life (the angelus if the deceased is a child). Hats are removed during the tolling of the years.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addititonals -

You remove your hat to kiss a lady;

You keep it on in the train station (which makes me wonder about the airport).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    Addititonals -

You remove your hat to kiss a lady;

You keep it on in the train station (which makes me wonder about the airport).
    Both of these seem quite practical - the hat is a nuisance when kissing and having a hat in your hand ensures it doesn't start wandering places it shouldn't be going (in public, at least)! The platform of a train station is generally out of doors AND your hands are likely to be busy with luggage and such.

I imagine the wearing of a hat depends on the airport. If it's indoor and you've checked your luggage, it would be entirely appropriate to remove your hat (you are indoors, after all). If you board the plane directly from the tarmac, I imagine it would be best to keep your hat on as you could be called out to board at any moment.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast