X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wherein Diane makes some instructional videos.

So, someone on here contacted me privately and asked if I could show them some basic Scottish Country Dancing stuff so they didn't feel so out of their depth starting a class that was mostly intermediate dancers.

At the same time, Diane has been looking online for instructional videos to recommend to our newer dancers and has been unable to find much.
    Sure, there are great written resources and gifs, and the Red Thistle Dancers have some great DVD stuff. But most people don't want to buy a DVD right off the bat and some people learn better visually.

So last night Diane and I made some verrrry amateur videos that she will be continuing sporadically.
    They go over the basics of SCD step by step and will slowly start to add in tips for technique, more complicated steps and formulas.

Let us know what you think and feel free to pass them on to anyone who would like some info before they try a class.

Video one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GytbP...layer_embedded

And Video two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2Qi...layer_embedded

MacBean is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this. We've been wanting to get started but getting some of the embarassing basics down at home first is a great thing for those born with too many left feet. My wife can follow anything at a glance, but I'm hopeless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
    Thank you for this. We've been wanting to get started but getting some of the embarassing basics down at home first is a great thing for those born with too many left feet. My wife can follow anything at a glance, but I'm hopeless.
    I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I could help, MacBean! As we go along, I want to make a few exercise/practice videos where there is music and the steps are combined to help people get comfortable with them. It's hard to do a social dance form as a solo act, but if your feet know what to do it makes all the other stuff, like interacting and moving with half a dozen other people, a little less stressful.
    The fear o' hell's the hangman's whip To laud the wretch in order; But where ye feel your honor grip, Let that aye be your border. - Robert Burns