X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do I NEED?

2nd to One is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do I NEED?

So as a new kiltie, I'm curious:
    What do you consider to be the 'bare necessities,' if you will, of a kilt outfit?
    At this point I have a kilt (obviously,) hose, garters, and sporran, and I wear a polo shirt with it.

So, you experienced kilt-wearers of the forum, what is your idea of a good beginner's kilt outfit? Muckle thanks!

~2nd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you already have it. everything ellse helps dress the kilt up or down from there but really you have what you need to wear a kilt. What times are you planning on wearing your kilt? Sporting events, BBQ's, and pub crawls your already set. Church with the family, you would still be ok by just upgrading the shirt to button down shirt with tie, though a nice tweed jacket and waistcoat would look sharp. Fine dinner or evening wedding you would want an argyll or other such evening jacket.

Everything helps complete the look but the kilt is really the only required gear to be kilted.

Now I'll step aside for the more knowledgable of the rabble to correct me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should stay out of this, but I also think you pretty much have what you need.

You might consider a kilt jacket of some sort; perhaps even having one converted. Guess it's a matter of how much cabbage you feel you should lay down.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you pretty much have it wrapped up from the waist down I would say that a jacket or two would be in order. A regular argyle, braemer or crail is a good all-around choice as it can be dressed up for all but white tie affairs or worn more casually. If you have only one jacket go with black. If you can do two make the second a tweed or something else well suited to casual and daytime situations.

Of course there is always the option of converting a jacket. I have done three and am very pleased with them. One is very similar to a black argyle, and good enough to be worn next to someone wearing a commercially made one. Another is a gray casual sport coat type thing and the last is a short jacket similar to an "Ike." I got them all at thrift shops and have very little green invested.

There are probably a couple dozen good threads on converting a jacket on this site.

Shirts can be anything from an off the rack Wally World dress shirt to a custom tailored piece costing hundreds. Ties, if desired need not be tartan. Plain colors look great and can be used to compliment or set off colors in your tartan. Fancy or flashy ties don't really work well. Tartan ties are fine if you like them, but it must be worn with a kilt that matches or with a regular suit...mixing tartans just doesn't work for most.

Other pieces of your kit can be picked up as you go, such as unique kilt pins, fancy sporrans, and the like.

And the polo works well in casual settings. That's actually why I have so many. T-shirts are even accepted in many situations.

Try to find pieces that can be mixed for different looks and levels of dress. Two jackets, four shirts, a few pairs of hose, two pairs of shoes, and a couple of sporrans can set you up for almost anything.

Panache put up a really good post a while back showing 10 levels of dress ranging from very casual(hiking, backyard barbecue, etc.) to white tie. You can get some good ideas there, as well as from several other threads featuring members' pics including casual wear and formal.

Bottom line is let the kilt stand on it's own, and there is no reason to break the bank building a wardrobe. Just remember that you don't have to look like the rental shop pictures, or something from a catalog. You're off to a good start from the sound of it.

Hope that helped a little.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Sounds like you already have it. everything ellse helps dress the kilt up or down from there but really you have what you need to wear a kilt. What times are you planning on wearing your kilt? Sporting events, BBQ's, and pub crawls your already set. Church with the family, you would still be ok by just upgrading the shirt to button down shirt with tie, though a nice tweed jacket and waistcoat would look sharp. Fine dinner or evening wedding you would want an argyll or other such evening jacket.

Everything helps complete the look but the kilt is really the only required gear to be kilted.
    Once again, I receive a lesson on the virtues and values of brevity. That or I need to type faster.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey78 View Post
    Once again, I receive a lesson on the virtues and values of brevity. That or I need to type faster.

Lol That was my 3rd attempt at posting that as well. lost the first 2 to the interwebs. Was a little worried I was gonna end up with 3 very similar posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now, wait. Does he need a casual belt? One of those prong and eyelet type things.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pair of classic black brogues....should complete the look for both formal and casual
    Schiehallion kilted and true

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Well now, wait. Does he need a casual belt? One of those prong and eyelet type things.
    Hmm, he didn't mention anything about a belt. So, 2nd to One, how are you fixed for a belt? Do you have a kilt belt, or are you using a regular trouser belt?

*** to Schiehallion's advice on classic black brogues.

And you don't really NEED these, but a casual daywear-type sgian dubh and a kilt pin would help complete the look.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd to One View Post
    So as a new kiltie, I'm curious:
    What do you consider to be the 'bare necessities,' if you will, of a kilt outfit?
    At this point I have a kilt (obviously,) hose, garters, and sporran, and I wear a polo shirt with it.

So, you experienced kilt-wearers of the forum, what is your idea of a good beginner's kilt outfit? Muckle thanks!

~2nd
    What you have is what I consider the bare essentials. When someone is just starting out and buying their first kilt, I tell them the minimum they need to acquire to start off with is at least one pair of hose, garters to hold the hose up, a sporran to keep your stuff in, and something to hang the sporran from (most are supplied with a belt). That's it! Everything else really is just gravy.

Of course this works well for casual settings. The more formal the occasion, the larger your "minimum need" list may be!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast