X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Va scottish games 2010 pix

It was a perfect weather weekend for the Virginia Scottish Games at the Great Meadows in The Plains. I really like this venue and the new layout for the clan tents. There was a good turnout of XMarkers for the Games. I was especially pleased with the kith and kin that came to the Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society tent that I convened. Three new memberships were received. Without further ado here are the pix of Saturday day one!

The first visitors to the tent were Paul McCallum and Connie Lester of Greensboro, NC. Paul attended Grandfather’s Mountain Highland Games for the first time this year. I felt honored they came to visit with us. Paul joined the CMM Society.

Santa Wally and wife Cady dropped by next. SW and Cady also traveled out of state (PA) to be with us.

XMarker SCV40bt (John Samonsky) started his day without his boys, but would be joined later by them with his wife. His lads really enjoy the Celtic music. I hoping John will take them to Grandfather Mountain Highland Games next summer and camp out on the mountain.

Neil and Joyce Malcolm of Alexandria came to the tent and joined the Society. They have marched with us in the Alexandria Scottish Christmas Walk Parade. Neil is originally from Dundee.

Malcolm and Kathryn Squires of Petersburg (left of pic) came by with friends Roger & Mary McKay. Malcolm traces his lineage back to Malcolm Canmore. Malcolm and Kathryn became members of the Society.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a walkabout to say hi to XMarker Sir William (Bill Johnson). who was convening the Elliott tent.

At the British Car Show, I found McMillan of Rathdown’s Morgan. Scott would come down to the tent later, but he managed to be elusive of the camera lens. I had his kinsman, Malcolm McMillan come to the tent lamenting there was no McMillan tent. I was able to hunt Scott down so they could meet.

At the re-enactor area found XMarker Gerry Orvas with the Appins.

XMarker Reno would spot me. Reno is on the left with two of his mates and Gerry.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was time to break out the Wasmund’s Single Malt. This whisky comes from the hills of Virginia, Sperryville. The distiller Copper Fox was started by Ric Wasmund who interned at Bowmore Distillery on Islay.

Barbara Gordon Wray approved!

So did this trio of XMarkers!

For our X Marks the Scot meet-up we do our best interpretation of the “Hamish” pose!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the day’s end, I catch the Massed Bands

Last edited by Mael Coluim; 6th September 10 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Later with John and family at the Pub tent I end my day with City of Alexandria Pipes and Drums ……

…………… and Coyote Run

Day Two to come!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Pics! sorry I missed the photo call, but at least my car was around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice indeed.
    Santa Kona
    Founder & Chairman of Clan Claus Society
    Chieftain Clan Kennedy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day two

Day Two of a Festival is great! Tent is set up so in a short time you are ready to go. Folks tend to come in later, so it’s a good time to check out the vendors. I especially wanted to see Matt and Jenny at the Scottish Trading Company. They are my supplier of cotton kilt hose that are just perfect for our hot and humid summers.

My next stop was to see my friend David Browne founder of the InFamous Welsh Cookies. I will offer these to guests at the tent. They are a big hit! David, his two sons, daughter and son in law all in the business. With friends that can field eight tents at Festivals. I will see David, later in the month at the Welsh Festival in Fredericksburg.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first visitor was XMarker Ambjack (Steve Jackson) and the Mrs.
    They really enjoy the Games and have all their children, spouses and grand children attending.

The athletics field was nearby.

Childrens’ field was right in front of our clan row. The kids really enjoyed themselves.

Later in the afternoon, I was glad to offer the shade of the tent of some of the mothers and their tykes as they watched their children

The Loch Ness Monster Moon Bounce was a big draw with the wee ones.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XMarker Madadh would drop by with the family. The Irish Wolfhounds drew a crowd where ever they went. This festival was extremely dog friendly and they canine family was well represented.

XMarker Kilted Magjar (Paul Brown) and the Mrs. came by the tent to say hello.

Many times someone with Scottish ancestry but not of your Clan is searching for information about their clan. It is very satisfying to look up info on their clan and show the area(s) when the clan lands are(were).

The ceramic sheep at the end was a big draw again, everyone of all ages had to stroke him. The York patty mints were a distant second.

For X Marks the Scot meet up for this day we again…

…. did our best “Hamish”!
    Last edited by Mael Coluim; 6th September 10 at 10:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast