X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is had to believe that a whole year has passed since I met many of you SoCal xmarkers at the 2009 Ventura games. Enjoy! Sorry I can't be with you again this year.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We miss you, Alex, but the Games go on! Rode up on the train yesterday with Bob and my mother. Had a nice time at dinner with Greg (1oldsarge). Andrew (socalferg) came by to say Hi and take a picture, and said a quick hello to Julie (acuteenigma) in the hallway -- we'll stop by her Sinclair tent over the weekend. More to come!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a great time today! I've taken the year off playing in bands, so I can relax and watch the other bands.

Seaside is a rather small Games as far as pipe bands go, with only a Grade 4 and Grade 3 contest.

Here are the Grade Three bands, starting with Saturday's winner in the March Strathspey and Reel, the Pasadena Scots:

Drum Major David Melton leading the band up to the line, then standing aside...

As you can see the weather was fantastic with clear skies but a coolish breeze blowing in from the nearby ocean.

Also in Grade 3, the Nicholson Pipe Band:

and the judges awaiting the arrival of Mesa Caledonia (from Arizona)

Here are the judges from left to right Ed Best (Spirit of Scotland), Charlie Lumsden (Drummond of Perth), John Partanen (MacDonald), and Lorne Cousins. Note the Irn Bru in front of Charlie!

Watching the competition here are Janet MacLean and John Cahill

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th October 10 at 05:57 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now for most of the Grade Four bands, first the winner, The Salt Lake Scots in their interesting grey and magenta kilts

second place University Of California Riverside with their bespoke tartan

I'm not sure about the other placings so here are some of the other Grade Four bands randomly, first the Pacific Coast Highlanders in their lovely Hunting Thompson kilts. In the foreground is judge Lorne Cousins, well turned out with a tattersall shirt and tweed waistcoat:

White Peak, from Utah, wearing the US Bicentennial tartan

The Cameron Highlanders of San Diego, a band that's been around since the 1940s I think

And after the competition is over there are these knots of pipe band people chatting here and there, a chance to see various tartans side by side, on the left Ancient Bruce of Kinnaird (worn by Mesa Caledonia), on the right the California tartan, in the centre a grey-toned tartan I'm not familiar with, worn by one of the Drum Major competitors

Here left to right are California, Drummond of Perth, and Stirling and Bannockburn:

and the only picture that I'm in, faded because it was taken pointing into the sun with us in the shade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clans vie at darts

This year the Ventura County Dart Association, which is presenting Gold Coast Shootout III in conjunction with the (Seaside) Highland Games, has added the Darts Clan Challenge. The 70 clans that have gathered for the games are invited to form three-person dart-throwing teams to earn awards and bragging rights.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/oct/...#ixzz124MnmhVl
    - vcstar.com
    http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/oct/...land-games-at/
    Our tournament is part of the Seaside Highland Games http://www.seaside-games.com/ so the event is geared towards drawing folks into the Dart Hall (Santa Cruz Hall), helping them to understand more about the game of darts, and get them to compete.

Clan Blair won the first Darts Clan Challenge and will be listed on the perpetual plaque.
    2nd Clan MacLaren
    3rd Clan Douglas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12