X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sgian as a weapon for fighting

Having spent much time on this forum, I have gotten the impression that the origins of the sgian dubh were not in the realm of the martial arts. Everything I've read here would seem to indicate that the sgian was a fashion statement that may have evolved out of the necessity of having an edged tool for hunting or outdoor work.

It seems that there's at least one book out there that seems to suggest that the sgian along with the dirk were both used in knife fighting. Not that this would surprise me, but it's the first I've heard of it, especially in a formalized, "martial art" context. Does anyone have any comments about that?

Here's an Amazon link to the book in question: http://www.amazon.com/Highland-Knife.../dp/1581605668

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it might actually be good, useable stuff martially speaking, I'd be very cautious about assuming historical authenticity.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading just the introductory material, it seems the author used what (little) historical evidence is available about how the highlanders historically fought with such weapons (mainly dirks) and filled in the gaps with modern military, martial arts, and "street fighting" techniques.

Sadly, that's the way of it with things such as this. The nuances of successful martial arts practice are difficult to put in print and were (and are) often very closely guarded secrets.

Still, it seems like a decent read if you're curious about how you might actually use a dirk or sgian in self defense; though a decent tantojutsu class would probably be even more useful (though not at all correct for historical Scotland).
    Last edited by Cygnus; 14th September 10 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Still, it seems like a decent read if you're curious about how you might actually use a dirk or sgian in self defense; though a decent tantojutsu class would probably be even more useful (though not at all correct for historical Scotland).
    I'd agree. Actually, I strongly suspect that use of the dirk closely paralleled use of the dagger as seen and illustrated in surviving European combatives manuals such as Fiore dei Liberi's Flower of Battle:

http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/pr...26-Dagger.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKK1gZ3x_yk

http://wn.com/One_of_Fiore_dei_Liber...s_Dagger_plays

And the German school epitomized by Liechtenauer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6WYDctWoE

Born in Glasgow, Scotland currently S.Yorkshire England UK and part time Gambia W Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have read the dirk was held in the same hand as the targe / shield and the other used for the sword. I have not ready anywhere about the sgian being used as a weapon and I feel that unless it was razor sharp and used as a cutting or slashing weapon it would do little harm due to the normal length of the blade. The Fairbairn Sykes Commando dagger has a 7" blade which has only one purpose and is specifically designed for that. A sgian is usually about 7" in total lenght including the handle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose in a historical setting, if a person got into a bad situation, Anything in their hand would feel better than nothing, same as a pen-knife today, but it goes without saying that when the dirk was worn regularly, it would be the choice when no sword was carried.

The use of the dirk was recored in a rather interesting manner in Osgood Mackenzie's book "A Hundred Years in the Highlands".....in the family history section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PEEDYC View Post
    From what I have read the dirk was held in the same hand as the targe / shield and the other used for the sword. I have not ready anywhere about the sgian being used as a weapon and I feel that unless it was razor sharp and used as a cutting or slashing weapon it would do little harm due to the normal length of the blade. The Fairbairn Sykes Commando dagger has a 7" blade which has only one purpose and is specifically designed for that. A sgian is usually about 7" in total lenght including the handle.
    But not all Scotsmen could afford a sword, so those who could not would have to make do with what they could get.
    As for the sgian, the "legend" is that it is intended as a weapon of last resort and was originally worn under the arm. Whether this bit of lore is true or not, a sgian dubh, as micric said, would be better than nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PEEDYC View Post
    From what I have read the dirk was held in the same hand as the targe / shield and the other used for the sword.
    Yes, as a secondary weapon if you can afford a targe and sword and are using them. When carried as a primary weapon in the absence of a sword, right-handers would probably use it mostly in the right hand, just as they would a sword if THAT was the primary weapon.

I have not ready anywhere about the sgian being used as a weapon and I feel that unless it was razor sharp and used as a cutting or slashing weapon it would do little harm due to the normal length of the blade. The Fairbairn Sykes Commando dagger has a 7" blade which has only one purpose and is specifically designed for that. A sgian is usually about 7" in total lenght including the handle.
    Right you are. Opportunities to reach vital targets are greatly reduced with a much shorter blade; ironically this is something I've often illustrated with a 13-inch bladed Scottish dirk when teaching workshops on self-defense with tactical folders having blade lengths about the same as the average sgian dubh. For the latter, tactics need to emphasize cutting (especially large muscle groups, to disable) more than thrusting. Yet this idea may not translate well at all to a historic Highland setting where most of your wee-blade target areas may be covered with multiple layers of wool and linen.
    Last edited by Dale Seago; 12th September 10 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little sgian dubh is, in it's origins, a utility skinning/gutting (gralloch) knife, thrust into the stocking most likely as a means of convenience.

The sgian achlais, or "armpit dagger" was a more substantial blade considered a "weapon of last resort." Why else hide it?

The two sorts of knives were originally unrelated, IMO....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian, that's my understanding also.

REALLY nice sgian achlais, by the way -- who made it, if I may ask?
    Last edited by Dale Seago; 12th September 10 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast