X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    So I guess we could sum up 10 pages of posts in the phrase "If they're not expecting it, you could hold hostage/kill someone with a pen/butter knife/sgian, without much problem.
    Yes, exactly. A sgian is indeed a potent weapon when used in the right manner, at the right moment, by the right person. People have made far more use of lesser weapons... like box cutters, for example.

While the sgian dubh may not be the best choice of weapon for fighting, I'd still take it any day over nothing at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen,

But do you not think that all this talk of the Sgian as a weapon is rather negative?

We do wish to continue to carry the little knife, and to "Rambo"(thanks MOR!) it up does not help our cause....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    So I guess we could sum up 10 pages of posts in the phrase "If they're not expecting it, you could hold hostage/kill someone with a pen/butter knife/sgian, without much problem.
    By far, the most completely sinister street item is the screwdriver. Time to limit their use to licenced screw technicians.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    Gentlemen,

But do you not think that all this talk of the Sgian as a weapon is rather negative?

We do wish to continue to carry the little knife, and to "Rambo"(thanks MOR!) it up does not help our cause....
    I believe it was part of the original question. The answer is "no, the sgian is not a particularly good weapon, but it can have the element of surprise-which is a FANTASTIC weapon!"

A screwdriver, pen, sharp stick, 1/2 brick in a sock... any of these is on par with the sgian, so I don't think that talk of a sgian being a sub-par weapon is particularly harmful to it's image as a cultural artifact and item of dress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    Gentlemen,

I have to agree with you on this. When I made a sgian I try very hard not to make it look sinister. It is part of our heritage and should be protected so I cringe when someone does something that brings negative attention to the sgian or knives in general. If we appear militant or "Rambo" to the public of course they will have a negative outlook. We must excercise our heritage with moderation and good sense so we may continue to enjoy the freedoms we have now.
    The reverend Taygrd is now off his soapbox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try to comply completely with forum rules and ask the mods to remove this if it is found to be in violation.

I am active in another community, as a trainer and as a student of other trainers. One thing we come up against is the view by some that anything remotely akin to a weapon is to be feared, eschewed and outright banned. The flip side to this is that some in the community do seem to go out of their way to irritate these folks, which is also wrong.

People who would be offended by historical discussion of a small knife would likely be offended no matter what was discussed. You cannot appease such people, merely ignore or attempt to educate them. We are, after all, discussing a speculative and historical topic, not swapping tips on dismemberment and disemboweling.

Micric and Taygrd are entitled to their opinions and I respect them for having an opinion of their own. I am merely stating mine, which is not proven better or worse than theirs.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Quite right. And since this thread probably won't die a graceful death, as the OP I'm going to request the mods close the thread.

It's been an interesting 11 pages though. Thanks to all who contributed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed as requested by the Original Poster.
    Thanks to all for your contributions.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011