X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a possible shim...

Artificer, I admire your ingenuity. Any man who will take on a bias-cut tailoring project is brave, indeed. Sometimes, the less talented craftsmen of the world (which surely includes me) must resort to shims to make things work that might not otherwise- not that I would stoop to wood filler... much.

But I have this suggestion that might make your vest project a little easier- consider facing the lapels in black. That gives you a little less matching and geometry to deal with and it would be completely appropriate for a formal vest (IMHO).

Send us some pictures when you have finished.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bias waiscoats...

Artificer...if you find a good source of a bias waistcoat, please share your maker! I know that Lady Chrystel will do them...anybody know of anyone else? I made a 5 button one of 11 oz tartan and it turned out great...or it was turning out great...until I got to the buttonholes and totally messed it up!!! The tartan stretched out of square, the first buttonhole ended up too long, etc...so I scrapped the project. I was very disappointed...the feeling I imagine you had with sporran number 12 when it ripped...all that work, time, and money down the tubes.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Artificer, I admire your ingenuity. Any man who will take on a bias-cut tailoring project is brave, indeed.
    MacLowlife, I may be crazy, but I'm NOT insane

For me fabric is FAR too mutable. It shifts, stretches, pulls... Leather I can handle, wood or stone are fine as well. When it comes to fabric, THAT'S when I find a good tailor.

I wish I was skilled enough with fabric to attempt something like this in the allowable timeframe, but I know my limits.

Quote Originally Posted by longhuntr74 View Post
    Artificer...if you find a good source of a bias waistcoat, please share your maker! I know that Lady Chrystel will do them...anybody know of anyone else? I made a 5 button one of 11 oz tartan and it turned out great...or it was turning out great...until I got to the buttonholes and totally messed it up!!! The tartan stretched out of square, the first buttonhole ended up too long, etc...so I scrapped the project. I was very disappointed...the feeling I imagine you had with sporran number 12 when it ripped...all that work, time, and money down the tubes.
    DOH! I'm sorry to hear about that, and so close to the finish as well! That HAD to hurt.

I struck out with my first possible source, they'll do tartan, but not on the bias.

Should I find someone I'll PM you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In spite of all the above, I still prefer the plain shirt with waist belt I think. It keeps things very simple, and the three-button waistcoat with a plain jacket like an argyl is just not to my liking. It doesn't look bad, by any means, but I do prefer the jacket and white shirt look, much like a tuxedo. In fact, the waist belt and plate simply replace the cumberbund and add a bit of splash with the silver bucle. The buckle--usually a Masonic buckle for me--is the only splash I would be wearing.

When I wear a tuxedo, the only splash is a pocket square (probably white). Otherwise, all if very plain black and white.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post

1) With 3 button black waistcoat.

2) With non-matching waistcoat.

3) Black 5 button (Argyll) waistcoat.

4) No waistcoat - dress kilt belt

5) Cummerbund.
    Pretty much all of the above can work fine. In the old days it was not uncommon to wear a red waistcoat with a black jacket, a striking look.

Years ago, when I used to pipe at a wedding nearly every weekend, and nearly all the men were in black tuxedo jackets with black cummberbund and black bow tie, with white "Churchill collar" shirts, I dressed the same but with a black barathea Argyll. Traditionally Highland? Probably not. But it looked fitting to me, for a wedding piper.

For many years I haven't worn a waistcoat, waistbelt, or cummerbund with my Argyll. I just button the button for a sleeker, cleaner look.

Here's as dressed-up as my Argyll gets, with tartan hose, buckled shoes, plaid, etc. It's an old fashioned look except that I should be wearing a white shirt and black tie...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a black 3 button waistcoat. I really wanted a bias cut tartan job, but the only available source for one would have run right up to the deadline and cost me $150. I think I'll save that cash to put toward a velvet doublet. Either a Kenmore or Montrose in a deep claret or dark inky blue is my eventual goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12