X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: New DIY flashes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New DIY flashes

Loving to tinker with things I practiced some search fu and found some wonderful instructions for making flashes. So after some reading and on necessity of having to stay up all night I made four sets.
    I saw several attached with velcro so, armed with the tutorials here and time here's what i was able to come up with.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    1x3/4ing elastic, velcro, and woven cotton ribbon from JoAnns. Got the idea for the tasselled ends from Tyger's old post here http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...flashes-52559/
    I made one set of garters and the flashes are changeable.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I made four sets for some variety. I'll be heading back for some other colors. I like the rustic, simple, un-dress look.
    Last edited by Moski; 20th September 10 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spealling :)
    "The Highland dress is essentially a 'free' dress, -- that is to say, a man's taste and circumstances must alone be permitted to decide when and where and how he should wear it... I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed." -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, they look good . The hardest part is finding a suitable braid in a suitable colour.
    Schiehallion kilted and true

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff Moski, hope you don't mind if I pinch the idea, it's an absolute pearler. Thanks for the posting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ON the ones with tassels, is that the ribbon itself tied in a knot or is it bound with thread to create the end? Also for the ones with the angle cut, how have you prevented fraying? This looks like a project I may want to try myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some similar to the first ones but easier. Just cut the woven cloth ribbons to 12", fringe both ends like you did and fold them over at an angle. Then sew with enough room to slide the velcro/elastic strip through and you're done.
    Greg Livingston
    Commissioner
    Clan MacLea (Livingstone)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
    I did some similar to the first ones but easier. Just cut the woven cloth ribbons to 12", fringe both ends like you did and fold them over at an angle. Then sew with enough room to slide the velcro/elastic strip through and you're done.
    I've done several sets like this myself. I'm trying to find some PINK that aren't nylon to make a set for the Komen Cure walk in a couple of weeks. The cotton belting unravels much better for the tassels. The nylon is a bugga-bear to try to do it with (I've tried). I just use the thread from unraveling to whip wrap the tassels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS1970 View Post
    ON the ones with tassels, is that the ribbon itself tied in a knot or is it bound with thread to create the end? Also for the ones with the angle cut, how have you prevented fraying? This looks like a project I may want to try myself.
    On one end of the ribbon you can tease the warp thread out easily without knotting as it pulls. This is your "working end", you want to work from this end. The other end will knot and bind on the outside ends, you'll quickly find out.

What I did was unravel about two and a bit inches of the workiing end pulling the warp in one long thread. When the tassels are long enough I rolled the junction woven/unraveled and bound it using the warp thread. (No relation to Jerry's warp squirrels). Whip finish the end with your knot in the back and dab in frat check to secure the knot and binding. I used fray check to bind all cut ends except the tassles of course. I little goes a long way.

I used iron on velcro because the wife and daughter were sleeping. Use the widest elastic you can. Spread the pressure over a wider area for all day comfort. After I made tem I wore them for the rest of the night (midnight shift transition) without a problem. Just get the tension right.
    "The Highland dress is essentially a 'free' dress, -- that is to say, a man's taste and circumstances must alone be permitted to decide when and where and how he should wear it... I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed." -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice

Those look nice Moski, but I have to ask, why not just buy traditional garter ties?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the trad ties and they didn't stay well. Plus for half the cost and a few minutes of nuttin time I got four sets.