X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Bath" Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are three dry cleaners in town. Only one that I would trust with my kilt. He did a marvelous job and even ironed the pleats. Charged me 15.00. Nice work and I use him regularly for my tux, too.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank McGrath View Post
    There are three dry cleaners in town. Only one that I would trust with my kilt. He did a marvelous job and even ironed the pleats. Charged me 15.00. Nice work and I use him regularly for my tux, too.
    A dry cleaner in Frederick you trust with your kilt? That's close enough to Montgomery Village to be worth the trip. Would you be willing to part with the name?

Geoff Withnell
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I take mine to the dry cleaner and it is a "tank". I checked with my dry cleaner, they said kilts were no problem. They do an excellent job anytime I need mine cleaned. Which is very very rarely mind you. But seriously I have not had any of these bad experiences with getting mine dry cleaned. Did it to at least two kilts with zero issues. Just make sure they are aware it is a hand stitched heavy weight wool kilt. Plus as others have already stated, don't take it to the cleaners after every wear. Only when it absolutely needs it. Also I went way out of my way to take it to the dry cleaners in the "nice" neighborhood where the cleaners were sure to have many "picky" customers with expensive clothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good dry cleaner, particularly one in an area with active pipers might well have experience with taking care of kilts. Having an actual conversation with someone who does real work beyond the counter/register jockey is the key to deciding if they can be trusted with your garment.

It's like making any other informed decision: Ask questions. Keep the emotion out of your discussion and your decision. Don't be afraid to be up front about your needs and expectations. Be willing to walk away.

I found a good dry cleaner near my house who had experience caring for kilts. I also found 2 that didn't really seem to understand how it was put together. I've had similar results looking for mechanics, plumbers, hvac techs and cooks. The same strategy applies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12