X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted at the Photokina in Cologne and in Düsseldorf

Last week I spent three days in Düsseldorf and Cologne. A main purpose was to visit the Photokina Fair in Cologne, but it also left me with a whole day in Düsseldorf where my hotel room was.

I had decided that it should be a kilt-only trip with exceptions solely at the airports and on the flights – due to security controls and a kilt having too much metal built into it. And so it was. As soon as I was out of the customs at the airport in Düsseldorf I changed from jeans to my Holyrood tartan kilt.

It was an overwhelming positive experience which I should like to share with you.

Wednesday, sunny and over 20 C, Holyrood kilt

A female ticket inspector on the train from Düsseldorf to Cologne: “May I say something, sir? I really like your kilt”.

On the Photo fair:

A man from Olympus Camera asks me if he could take my picture. He doesn’t seem to bother that I has my Nikon D700 (competition) over the shoulder and a Nikon bag in the left hand. He gets his permission. A lot of pictures are taken by a lot of people without anybody asking for permission. At this fair you are really free hunt.

Thursday in Düsseldorf sunny and about 24 C. Holyrood kilt

A Young man on a bike stops to ask where to find a road. He could better have asked anybody else than a man in a kilt, who might be a foreigner. I couldn’t help him (of course).

I’m walking along the Rhine. 100-200 meters in front of me there are, as far as I can just, between 100 and 200 teenagers gathered, probably from a nearby high school. For a second I consider to turn around but then I continue. Having got closer and when taking a picture of the Rhine I recognize that a young man almost 2 meters tall, is coming towards me: “Could I ask you the price of your kilt, sir?” I tell him.
    “Thank you, sir. It’s a very nice kilt.” Then he walks back to three or four friends and tells them, as it looks.
    Walking amidst the young people causes a lot of stares and some talking. But it is in no way negative.

Outside a department store I’m studying a city map that I have just bought. A lady in her fourties asks if she can be of any assistance and she really takes her time to point out where I’m standing and how to come to certain street. Had she had anything against a man in a kilt she had hardy taken the initiative to assist me.

Two men in a parked van question me about the kilt.

Two ladies outside a hair dresser’s saloon: “Sexy”. “Yes, very Sexy”.

In a department store where I had bought three night shirts: Two shop assistants at the cash register start a small talk. They never mention the kilt, but I think we talk for more than five minutes, which is quite unusual.

When eating at two restaurants I’m again extremely well received and served and so I am when making an appointment at a hairdresser’s for the next morning. It is the young lady I’m talking to who is going to make the hair cut.

Thursday I have been walking around for 10-12 hours and have not heard one negative comment. All who have addressed me have done in German, i.e. they have not been taking me for a Scotsman, at least not one living there.

Friday morning, grey after rain during the night, Holyrood kilt

Appointment at the hairdresser’s at 10.40. I have a nice ¾ hours talk with the hairdresser. My kilt isn’t mentioned.

Friday, Utilitikilt Original sand

On the way back to the hotel it has started raining and I change to my Utilikilt. I wear it with a black polo shirt, black kilt hose and a black wind breaker. What a difference. Rather many and not pleasant stares and comments in the streets and on the train to Cologne, like “Where have you stolen that skirt?”

In Cologne at the photo fair and later when walking in the city only a few stares; nevertheless I’m regretting that I did not stay with the tartan kilt. However, the UK is much better suited for the rain.

Friday evening, dressed up for the opera. Colquhoun tartan kilt, lovat blue Argyll jacket, light blue shirt, grey tie, lovat blue kilt hose and blue flashes

Back in Düsseldorf it has stopped raining. I’m going to the seasonal opening at the opera house where La Boheme is given. There is a 15 minutes’ walk to the opera house from my hotel.

Again positive reactions:

Two teen age girls talking to each other: “That’s VERY cool”. “Yes, it really is”).

Inside the opera house:

A young lady on her way to her seat, smiling and giving me an approving look: “VERY nice, your kilt”.

Waiting for the opera to start after the break my neighbours, a couple my age, ask me if I’m Scottish – in German. I tell them that I’m not, but that I spend a lot of time in a kilt and that I got inspired to wear it after a visit to Scotland. Then we talk about Scotland where they have been, too.

After the performance a cocktail party is given. This is due to the opening of the season. A lot of people are attending, also musicians, singers and the conductor.
    A man and a lady come up to me. She asks if my kilt is genuine. They have been discussing it, she says. She thinks it is. He is in doubt. I confirm that it is and some minute later he leaves. With the lady I talk for more than an hour. We talk kilt, how come etc. and we talk about opera performances, staging and a lot of other things.

Around mid-night on my way back to the hotel I’m asked by a man about kilt wearing and passing by a group of young men, having had just a little bit too much to drink, one of them shouts:
    “A real Scotsman doesn’t wear anything under his kilt”. He and the others wave and so do I.

Conclusion:

A tartan kilt is not only accepted. It’s an ice breaker, a conversation starter. A modern kilt is by far less so, at least in Cologne and especially in Düsseldorf. Or do you have had better experiences?

Greg

Photokina. Samsung

Düsseldorf. Holyrood kilt, black polo shirt and hose

Düsseldorf. Old town

Düsseldorf. Königs Allee, reflections.

Düsseldorf. Old town.

Düsseldorf. At the Königs Allee

Düsseldorf. Fountain

Düsseldorf. Shopping center

Düsseldorf.

Dressed up for the opera. Lovat blue Argyll and hose, light blue shirt, grey tie, blue flashes and kilt in Colquhoun Ancient tartan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, GG, for both the very interesting breakdown of people's reactions to your various kilt types, and for the gorgeous pictures.

If I may ask, who made your Holyrood kilt? and is PV or wool. I've noticed that that tartan in particular is one that seems to look SO different every time I see it pictured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make it to Photokina one year....... Is that the D3x, D3 or D2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is wool and made to measure. The fabric is woven by N. Batley. It is a 10 oz. only kilt, made for our summer holidays in southern Switzerland/northern Italy.
    I ordered it by Heritage of Scotland.

Greg

PS. I also have two pv kilts in the Holyrood tartan. The tartans look very much the same but you can feel the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EHCAlum View Post
    I'll make it to Photokina one year....... Is that the D3x, D3 or D2?
    If you mean what cameras I use, they are Nikon D700 and D300.

Greg
    Last edited by GG; 2nd October 10 at 12:31 PM.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, GG.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    loving the ice-cream, a real fleeting moment picture. Great photo's Greg.

Widdrington Station, Northumberland, Sassen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, GG. I have an old friend in Koln and he loves Scotland VERY much!

Slainte

Bruce

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some excellent photography sir.

And I'm not surprised about reactions to a modern kilt vs. traditional, tartan kilt...

When I tried on a Utilikilt at their store in Seattle, I thought to myself that it looked really good, was comfortable, and had many practical features. I also thought that it was a sufficient break with tradition to be under-appreciated by some people. So I didn't buy one...
    Last edited by CMcG; 4th October 10 at 02:00 PM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Some excellent photography sir.

And I'm not surprised about reactions to a modern kilt vs. traditional, tartan kilt...

When I tried on a Utilikilt at their store in Seattle, I thought to myself that it looked really good, was comfortable, and had many practical features. I also thought that it was a sufficient break with tradition to be under-appreciated by some people. So I didn't buy one...
    Thanks. And yes, you might very well be right that it could be under-appreciated by some people. At least, it was pretty much my experience in Düsseldorf and Cologne.

Greg