X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanachie View Post
    I appreciate the replies, I was told but don't have a timetable in hand, that I can take a bus from the city centre. Perhaps it would be a long wait for a bus back at this time of the year. As several people mentioned, there might well be snow. I am hoping not too bad, as my dates coincide with rail service being disrupted last winter. If it is too bitterly cold it might be a day for the tall stool. However, I was heartened to hear that a gentleman who does walking tours of Inverness runs the tours year round so I was pleased at that.
    Sometimes us locals are not the people to ask as we have no need to know about the details as we just take it all for granted, as locals do the world over.However, if there is anything I can help with, then just ask. The threat of snow is not one to ignore at that time of year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been on the moor for 30 years.
    Can anyone tell me if the battlefield is still planted with spruce trees?........it made seeing the layout a bit difficult on my visit.
    Haunting place to visit though. The gorse was in bloom when I was there, and it was so sweet, yet a sad place.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the battlefield is still planted with spruce trees?........it made seeing the layout a bit difficult on my visit.
    Haunting place to visit though. The gorse was in bloom when I was there, and it was so sweet, yet a sad place.
    Most(ALL) the trees have been cut down just recently-----those around the main cairn most certainly. Have a look at my thread in the pictures section this year named "April 16th 2010" that should give you a clue.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micric View Post
    Yes, all of the trees on the battlefield itself -- that portion in the ownership of the NTS -- have been removed. The road that bisected the field 30 years ago has also been removed. I think at that time Leanach cottage was still accessible; its interior was being damaged by the simple mass of people crossing the threshhold, so it is now closed although you can peek in a window or two.

Some original and important aspects of the field are being discovered as work continues to return it to the way it was 300 years ago. On its own and without man's interference, the very nature of the bog is being restored, but old walls and dykes have been found and marked or partially reconstructed by the Trust.

Even more haunting than when you were there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your answers, Jock and Thistledown.

I am pleased the forestry has been cleared away. I recall the Keppoch stone was in the middle of a wood.
    Yes "Old Leanach" was still open to the public when I visited. Sad to hear it's closed now, but for a good reason most likely!
    I remeber how the field itself was all furrowed from the planting of the trees, and found myself glancing into said furrows, half expecting to see a musket ball or a bit of a blade sticking out the ground!
    I probably wouldn't recognise the spot now,...no road bisecting it and all!

Thanks again.

R.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12