X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cameron of Erracht Tartan

While I was visiting Barb T yesterday I got to see a Box-pleated kilt that she's currently making in the Cameron of Erracht tartan. It's a beautiful, bold, and busy tartan...but Barb and I both agreed that it really is well suited to box pleating. Here's a pic of the kilt in-progress:

My admiration of the tartan inspired me to do some research when I got home. I found this site which shows an original historic kilt made in this tartan:
    John Alexander Cameron

I was shocked at the difference between the "Modern" colors and the original. As I recall from reading previous threads, some recent, about historic dyes and colors, the green fades more than blue or red...which you can plainly see here.

I really like the muted colors of this original. I compared it to the Weathered version of the tartan...the green looks about right, but the blue shade is wrong, the red shows as brown, etc.

I don't know the reason for making this post...yes I'd love a kilt in this tartan woven in the original shades...but that's a LONG way down the list of wants. I just thought it might spark some interesting discussions...and wanted to shared the link to the historic kilt pics for those that may never have seen it. Of particular interest to me are the button waistband with watch/change pocket....interesting!! Anybody have a drawing of the design of this kilt?
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are great pictures, i have one question for you, what is the pronunciation for "Erracht"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert...

but I believe it is pronounce 'Air-rackt'
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrapping up my second box pleat now, I was thinking as well that the Clan Donald tartan would suit itself much better to Box pleats to the stripe than probably anything else.
    Considering that that is exactly how such tartans would most certainly have been pleated two hundred years ago, I don't think we should be surprised.

As to such tartans in historic colours ... My MacDonald of Clanranald is likely complete from DC Dalgleish and should be her before xmas! I'm very excited.
    Last edited by xman; 24th October 10 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longhuntr74 View Post
    My admiration of the tartan inspired me to do some research when I got home. I found this site which shows an original historic kilt made in this tartan:

I was shocked at the difference between the "Modern" colors and the original. As I recall from reading previous threads, some recent, about historic dyes and colors, the green fades more than blue or red...which you can plainly see here.

I really like the muted colors of this original. I compared it to the Weathered version of the tartan...the green looks about right, but the blue shade is wrong, the red shows as brown, etc.

I don't know the reason for making this post...yes I'd love a kilt in this tartan woven in the original shades...but that's a LONG way down the list of wants. I just thought it might spark some interesting discussions...and wanted to shared the link to the historic kilt pics for those that may never have seen it. Of particular interest to me are the button waistband with watch/change pocket....interesting!! Anybody have a drawing of the design of this kilt?
    This is a kilt c1830-45 made from Wilsons of Bannockburn's cloth. It looks to be their material for Fine Plaids, 5 half setts for the 24 Reed. The dyes are natural which accounts for their appearance.

I have a piece of what is said to be the original regimental cloth (I can date it to c1810-15 for certain) and interstingly it's very dark and much closer to so-called modern colours.

I'm not aware of any published patterns for this style but do know of a kilt with a similar waistband. Not sure if there's a change pocket but will check.

Quote Originally Posted by longhuntr74 View Post
    but I believe it is pronounce 'Air-rackt'
    It's pronounced slightly softer. More like air-acht with the 'ch' as in loch.