X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a Loudoun's Highlanders picture

I'm looking for a picture of Ensign (Lt) John Reid, Loudoun's Highlanders c1746/7.

It's a half portrait with the sitter wearing a red tartan waistcoat. I've seen it reporduced somewhere but can I remember where? Can't find it on-line. Anyone know of a source?

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know the picture your looking for, but have been unable to locate it yet.

In the meantime here is a version of the well known portrait of General John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudon in the uniform of 64th RoF during the '45 (I have other versions I could scan if needed).

Also, found an interesting page on the STA about The Tartans of Kidnapped, in which they describe the character Colin Roy Campbell of Glenure (The Red Fox) who served in Loudoun's:

The Red Fox Tartan

This is perhaps the most straightforward and the most certain of the Kidnapped tartans. We know that Colin Roy Campbell of Glenure served with Loudoun's Regiment during the '45 Rebellion and in the Low Countries in 1747. Around 1970, researcher Ruairidh Halford MacLeod discovered, in the Huntington Library (U.S.A.), a sample of plaiding which had been "sent to Lord Loudoun for his Highlanders" in 1747, in the Low Countries. This was the standard blue, black, green tartan with a red stripe (with black guards) on the blue and a yellow stripe on the green. Loudoun's tartan was, indeed, the regimental sett which must have been worn by Glenure. In that sense we may think of it as the Red Fox Tartan (it does not seem to have been claimed as a Clan Tartan). This is not to suggest that he was wearing this pattern on the day of his murder, or anything of that sort, only that it was a tartan which we can state with confidence to have been worn by him.

In Stuart Reid's 18th Century Highlanders (Osprey Man-At-Arms series #261) he states:
    The red tartan [kilt worn in the Allan Ramsay portrait of Loudoun] appears to be the sett now known as Stuart of Bute, an attribution which may arise from the portrait's being in the possession of that family when the Sobieski Stuart brothers forged their 'Vestiarium Scoticum'....
    The waistcoat, largely obscured by gold braiding, is also tartan; this feature also crops up in a portrait of Lieutenant Reid, though the sett may be a simple black on red check of the style known as 'Rob Roy'.

I'll keep searching...
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I've been able to find on it is from Google Books here. Apparently it's at the Talbot Rice Gallery at the University of Edinburgh. The date is given as c.1745.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry,

Thanks. I am of course familiar with the picture of the Lord Loudoun and despite what the Scots Guards' page and Stuart Reid say the sett is neither red and black or Stuart of Bute but is definitely Tullibardine (now Murray of).

I'm working on a paper on the early use of the Tullibardine tartan hence my interest in the half portrait of John Reid to see if the sett conforms with Loudoun's. I discovered yesterday that the original in apparently in the collection belonging to Edinburgh University. I can't find it on-line and need to call them today to see if that's the case.

Grateful for anything that you can find.

Peter

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to read what you have Peter.

I'll keep digging!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris at Heathfield View Post
    The only thing I've been able to find on it is from Google Books here. Apparently it's at the Talbot Rice Gallery at the University of Edinburgh. The date is given as c.1745.
    That would seem to tie in with what I'd heard although the entry for the Talbot Rice Gallery doesn't appear to list the picture, well not that I an see. A call today should get to the bottom of things and hopefully a trip down to see it next week.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Success (hopefully). Tracked the picture down to the Talbot Rice Gallery. It's not on display but I hope to have an image to work from next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great Peter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Success (hopefully). Tracked the picture down to the Talbot Rice Gallery. It's not on display but I hope to have an image to work from next week.
    Just curious Peter (& to give this thread a bump ), did you ever get to see the picture in question?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Just curious Peter (& to give this thread a bump ), did you ever get to see the picture in question?
    A timely bump Yes, I tracked it down.

The waistcoat is clearly supposed to be tartan. There are a number of finer lines that are visible on a hi-res image but it's still too much of a general impression to allow a positive identity beyond saying that it is a red based sett. Could possibly be the Tullibardine that I discussed in my paper on the early use of that tartan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast