X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    re Rocky's comment about Steve's handling of the forum, I find it impressive
    that in this day of overhype and spam marketing, Steve does not attempt to
    "outsize" other ads or bombard us with sales pitches. Many would attempt
    to use the forum as a bully pulpit, and that would destroy the genteel nature that draws people here.
    I completely agree. I don't think Steve, as an advertiser / kiltmaker AND the forum owner, gets enough credit for his restraint.

I also don't know if the general forum member knows how much he DOES protect the 'uneducated newbie' by only allowing reputable advertisers up here and by keeping the "trolling for business" to a minimum. He also fosters an environment where "traditional" kiltmakers and "contemorary" kiltmakers (and loads of categories in between) can all post up here and respect each other's opinions.

Back to the topic at hand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a lot of interesting points made. Mr. Hawthorne has a point and should engage the appropriate professional group to come up with the best and most suitable Scottish branding and labeling for the kilt and associated accessories crafted in Scotland.

I wouldn't want to limit the product as being 8 yds. etc. etc.just to give some flexibility in marketing to the broader world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Nighthawk.

OK I suppose if we were a couple of legal types we could be earning monstrous fees over this! We aren't. Neither can I speak for any kilt maker, but as I see it.

Kilt makers such as Matt or Barb. Tewkesbury do make genuine kilts they just do not make genuine Scottish kilts and as far as I am aware, they have never claimed to have done so and without, I hope, being presumptuous or impertinent they appear to have no trouble finding customers who can see quality when it is in front of them and are not the least bit worried that the kilt is made in the USA,France, England or anywhere else in this world outwith Scotland. In fact the customers are so happy with the product that they put in repeat orders and why not?

Others from outwith Scotland and maybe within Scotland too, make/sell or both, some skirt type thing, of dubious provenance, that unfortunately claim to be kilts, simply because there is a lack of the correct definition and description for them. However, skilled traditional kilt makers from around the world have nothing to fear with their genuine kilts. Just like whisky producers outwith Scotland have nothing to fear with their products as long as the labeling is correct.
    I agree with you, Jock. My problem is that, as I stated, I see us all as a global community- cousins. Creating this distinction or that will only create rifts and cause problems, and that at this point is what concerns me. Why polarize us?

With the greatest of respect I think that we on this website have a pretty good idea what makes a kilt particularly after a month or two. Sadly, there are far more potential kilt buyers out there who have no idea what they are buying and unfortunately they are the ones who get caught. How many times do we get new members saying that they wished that they had known about this website before parting with a wad of Dollars in Princess Street on some substandard piece of junk. Their disappointment is more than obvious.

I quite accept that a cheap and cheerful kilt does have its uses for some sort of rough and tumble occasion and yes, they are a start for some too. For those that have bought the same garment thinking they had the real thing that will see them through formal events in style for a life time, have been done-----------well---------an injustice.
    Once again, you and I see eye to eye!!
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 8th November 10 at 09:02 PM.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times do we get new members saying that they wished that they had known about this website before parting with a wad of Dollars in Princess Street on some substandard piece of junk.
    Never heard of Princess St!

Emasculated by the new tramway?
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    Never heard of Princess St!

Emasculated by the new tramway?

Gufffaaawwwwwww!

Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed quite a while to consider this carefully.

I, too, think that a "Made in Scotland" label or "Scottish Kilt" category would be marvelous*. But, in reality, as posted above, the people selling inferior product will continue to do so. They will either blatantly lie and include the label, or they will find a legal end-run around the intent of the label.

Either way, I think the end result would be to lower the confidence of the buying public so they would no longer perceive the label as "a good thing".

You are better off in Scotland having people know the "real" providers of kilts provide quality product, and the inferior providers don't. Labels will not change the situation, and can only hurt Scotland if both products end up with the same label.

* note: the word "marvelous" was chosen specifically. I would truly find it a marvel if an acceptable to Mr. Hawthorne definition of a Scots Kilt could be created.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789