X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    If I were dealing only with tiny thorns like that, it would be a non-issue.

Mainly what I hike through is prickly-pear cactus, cat briar, huisache, and yucca.

The thing about leather is that it's hot and doesn't breathe. That said, though, I'm considering using these leggings as a pattern to make some leather gaiters. These would be for hiking in very cold weather, as well as for working around the homestead when kilted. I'm thinking they would either lace up like these, or have straps/buckles. And a knife pocket on the right leg for carrying a small hunting knife, box cutter, screwdriver, or what-have-you.
    Ah, I wasn't thinking of cacti.

A pocket on the gaiters sounds useful...probably better in the style originally shown, than the modern loose style.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Nice! I also like the Army & Marine shoes/boots they have listed
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went right over to ebay and got a pair in new condition for under $30. There are plenty out there. Great stuff!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Nice! I also like the Army & Marine shoes/boots they have listed
    I'm seriously considering getting some of the WWII reproduction boots from them too. They're made to wear with these leggings. The only down side is that I'd probably have to get them re-soled with something that has some tread on it.

What Price Glory has them as a slightly better price, but they say that they're all E width. WPG also has reproduction leggings for a couple bucks cheaper than WWII Impressions.

I went right over to ebay and got a pair in new condition for under $30. There are plenty out there. Great stuff!
    A couple of things I'll say about buying vintage leggings (even if they're in new condition)...

First, make sure you get the right size! I have tiny stick-legs, so a 1R fits me. But as I understand it, these leggings are getting hard to find for guys with bigger legs. Most guys today have to go with reproduction leggings in sizes larger than what they made in WWII.

Second, make sure you buy a set of replacement laces. You can go to your local supermarket, most likely, and find round boot laces in the correct length. But I'd almost guarantee that you'll break a lace sooner or later. I've already broken one, so I have replaced the laces on both leggings.

Third, when you get them, make sure the stitching is in good shape. When laced up, these stitches take quite a bit of tension. My stitching is starting to go. So I have bought a second pair of leggings, and I can swap them out until I get a chance to sit down and re-stitch the first pair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper1 View Post
    Hi - we used to have gaiters in the Navy. They were shorter that the army puttees and were worn by the guard and anyone handling weapons, guns or ammunition. You tucked your pants into them to keep the extra material from flapping about. Only see them now on the ceremonial gun's crews now - sigh. I tried a pair for hiking to put over my hose and it worked okay but they weren't high enough. Now I use a pair of gortex based gaiters. Something absolutly necessary out here on the wet coast.
    Yep--I had to wear these in bootcamp--in Florida--in the summer! But I wound up wearing them for Honor Guard etc. I have used these and some similar to the OP's for hiking and flyfishing and I LOVE them.

Anyone who has ever wore leggings in the company of men on the march--knows the sound of the ONE guy who put his laces on the INSIDE of his legs. No mistaking the 'click' of the hook eyelets connecting...the subsequent 'shuffle' of feet off step...the inevitable 'Urrumpfh"...of the wearer as he realized his error and then the final glorious 'THUD" of him hitting the deck after effectively tripping himself due to his eyelets locking together.

This was all typically followed by the muffled morning laughter of the rest of the Company.
    [I][B]Ad fontes[/B][/I]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, Detroitpete, I'll bet that would have been embarrassing to anyone who did it!

Before I bought these, I made sure to research how they're supposed to be put on, and I'm glad I did. There was a mention of a reenactor who put his on like you describe (laces to the inside), and he got his legs tangled up going down a flight of stairs... with injurious results. Considering that I do a lot of my hiking on steep rocky hills, I do NOT want to take the chance of falling to my doom because of improperly worn leggings!

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Ha, Detroitpete, I'll bet that would have been embarrassing to anyone who did it!

Before I bought these, I made sure to research how they're supposed to be put on, and I'm glad I did. There was a mention of a reenactor who put his on like you describe (laces to the inside), and he got his legs tangled up going down a flight of stairs... with injurious results. Considering that I do a lot of my hiking on steep rocky hills, I do NOT want to take the chance of falling to my doom because of improperly worn leggings!
    Just another general observation: make sure to wear them as tight as you can stand them -- otherwise, the whole purpose of leggings is for naught, namely to keep foreign objects from getting in your boots/shoes. When we wore them in Spanish-American War reenacting, it also kept things from getting up our trouser legs, although in this instance, that doesn't apply.

Not the best photo, I know, but here is yours truly (second from left) portraying a solider of the 20th Kansas Infantry, USV, at the 150th anniversary of the formation of the Kansas National Guard. The venue is the Museum of the KSNG in Topeka. Note the Vietnam-era CH-54 Sikorsky "Tarhe" behind us.

T.

T.
    Last edited by macwilkin; 9th December 10 at 10:06 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234