X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonnets on or off?

I remember hearing one time that the Scottish tradition was to wear your hat/bonnet inside. Has anyone else heard this? I am asking because I generally wear a kilt to Church, When I got married and was in full dress, doublet, belted fly plaid, crossbelt w/ sword I left my balmoral on for the entire day, evening during the Church service. Being from the south my Grandmother always taught me to take my hat off inside, during dinner and at Church. Women wear hats during Church, is it inapporiate to wear a balmoral? I would never wear a baseball cap or fedora during Church, but I think a balmoral is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the south too, and I would never wear any head-dress in a church. The one exception to the "no hat rule" is for military (and pipe bands) as they do not take off their bonnets during prayer, even outside. So, I vote no. Don't wear it inside the church.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    I am in the south too, and I would never wear any head-dress in a church. The one exception to the "no hat rule" is for military (and pipe bands) as they do not take off their bonnets during prayer, even outside. So, I vote no. Don't wear it inside the church.
    We have the same rule in the Northern Midwest.

T.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    I don't know about the US miliatary but here we most certainly take our bonnets off in church.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall, the determiner for wearing a head cover indoors is whether or not you are "under arms". sword, fire arm, bag pipe, part of a color guard,... If not under arms, remove cover.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    As I recall, the determiner for wearing a head cover indoors is whether or not you are "under arms". sword, fire arm, bag pipe, part of a color guard,... If not under arms, remove cover.
    This is the rule I follow.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This "under arms" business isn't followed in the UK or Canada. Military personnel are bareheaded in church.

I can, though, think of two exceptions. Her Majesty's Bodyguard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms and The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard wear their helmets and bonnets respectively when on duty in church. It is quite possible that The Royal Company of Archers, The Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland wear their bonnets in church whilst on duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    This "under arms" business isn't followed in the UK or Canada. Military personnel are bareheaded in church.

I can, though, think of two exceptions. Her Majesty's Bodyguard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms and The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard wear their helmets and bonnets respectively when on duty in church. It is quite possible that The Royal Company of Archers, The Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland wear their bonnets in church whilst on duty.
    For further information - In the UK, on the very rare occasion of a Lying in State, the four corners of the catafalque are guarded by persons in full uniform. This includes headdress.

This is a picture of the Prince of Wales standing guard with his brothers, the Duke of York and The Earl of Wessex and the Viscount Linley at the Lying in State of their grandmother, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

These events are noteworthy because they are so rare - definitely a case of the exception proving the rule.

Regards

Chas
    Last edited by Chas; 12th December 10 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    For further information - In the UK, on the very rare occasion of a Lying in State, the four corners of the catafalque are guarded by persons in full uniform. This includes headdress.

This is a picture of the Prince of Wales standing guard with his brothers, the Duke of York and The Earl of Wessex and the Viscount Linley at the Lying in State of their grandmother, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

These events are noteworthy because they are so rare - definitely a case of the exception proving the rule.

Regards

Chas
    Chas, I was about to add that to my post above, but got side-tracked. Thanks for mentioning it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's not a Quaker gathering... I think there are a few others too.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast