X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original 79th New York Kilt & Sporran

Heres the only known original 79th New York Kilt and Sporran. These pictures were taken and owned by Shane Miles. Posted with his permission.

KILT
    • Made in the late winter of 1860
    • Unofficial parade uniform
    • 9" Military Set
    • Machine sewn
    • Pleated to the set
    • 2 cloth straps, one on each hip
    • Victorian Suspender buckles
    • Box pleated
    • Lined with a light cotton twill
    • Trimmed with black silk satin
    • Worn with braces (Suspenders)
    • Suspender button scars on kilt

SPORRAN
    • Functioning pocket
    • Burgandy kid leather facing
    • Leather Cantle
    • Fine example of 1850s leather work. (Stitches, quality, hair, ect)
    • Worn with a leather belt, not a chain.

Notice how imperfect the pleating is. These were not made by professional kilt makers.

A small triangle is missing from the corner of the kilt.

Original soldier showing that this kilt and sporran are indeed original to the 79th New York Highlanders as the information attached to the relics say.

I'll slowly started getting good scans of original 79th uniforms and soldier images posted.
    (Cross posted to correct folder and to try not to hijack my own thread)
    Last edited by 79thReproductions; 16th October 10 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Original Soldier's picture added

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Martin made me a copy of the kilt a few years ago. My son has it at the moment so I can't post pics but it was a great match, including braches buttons. A very comfortable kilt; 5-6 yds if I recall correctly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the great pictures.
    I've been asked several times about recreating the sporrans for the 79th.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curiouser and Curiouser...

So were the kilts of the 79th worn for daily duty/combat, or strictly as parade dress? I know your description calls it a "Parade Uniform"... but was curious if it was strictly so.

Thanks,
    WG
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Artificer, Sent you a PM about whole sale.

WG, the kilts were not worn for daily duty throughout the year of 1860 or during the Bull Run Campaign in the summer of 1861.

On October 25th 1859, the 79th held their first formal inspection. Their strength was 223 officers and enlisted present. They wore civilian clothes and the inspector was informed by Col. McLeay that:

"..stuff for trousers was expect to arrive from Scotland Daily, when they would immediately put their uniforms under contract for manufacture..."
    -Report of Inspection, 4th Brigade New York State Militia, 25 Oct. in Annual Report of the Adj.Gen., NYS, 1859
    The Adj. Gen. refused the use of the Kilts but between that formation in late October and the Spring of 1860, the small militia had both Kilts and trousers made. This was a tough political situation that was resolved by discretion on the part of the 79th. The kilts were used for parades while the tartan trousers were their fatigue uniform.

A year later in the spring of 1861, the 79th moved on Washington City after being issued state uniforms by the Union Defence Committee to be used on the Bull Run Campaign.

"Uniforms have been distributed to the men, as well as haversacks, blankets and underclothing. Still the most important items, knapsacks and muskets, were kept back, and the only late last night the requisite number of knapsacks were delivered to the regiment."

Newspaper article, 1861 DEPARTURE OF THE SEVENTY-NINTH REGIMENT FOR WASHINGTON TO-DAY
    The uniforms provided around May 20th of 1861 by the Union Defence Committee were recalled in the Unit history on page 3.

It will also be recalled how strange most of us felt when dressed for the first time in our new uniforms, the pants were too long—or too short, the coat or jacket collars so high and stiff that we could hardly turn our heads without scratching our necks or chins, while the tips of our fingers could scarcely be seen, so generous was the length of sleeve.

The Seventy-ninth Highlanders, New York Volunteers in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865 By William Todd
    Their tartan trousers, kilts and bonnets were packed up and left in camp.

William Todd, of Company B, 79th New York (Highlanders), writing to correct a statement to the effect "that the 79th New York wore the Highland dress at the battle of Bull Run," says:"If by that is meant the "Kilts," it is an error. It is true that all the officers and many of the men did wear that uniform when we left the city [New York City] in June, [2nd] 1861, and on dress-parade occasions in Washington [DC], but when we went into Virginia it was laid aside, together with the plaid trousers worn by all men on ordinary occasions, and we donned the ordinary blue. Captian ---- was the only one who insisted on wearing the kilts on the march to Bull Run, but on the day before we reached Centreville the kilts were the cause of his drawing upon himself much ridicule, and when we started for the battle-field on that Sunday morning he, also, appeared in ordinary blue uniform.

Page 185 Vol. 1 Battles and Leaders of the Civil War
    Kilts for dress-parade occasions from 1860-July 1861 only
    Trews for "ordinary occasions" from 1860-July 1861 only
    Federal Uniforms through the war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rachel.
    Thanks for posting these wonderful pics. I hope my sporran will meet the grade. Construction begins on Monday. There is a conciderable about of hair!.. when you say functional pocket. do you mean the type of pocket sewn to the back of the front face, or a gusseted front and back?

What did the men wear for garter ties? are they the " trad ones that are sold from the Scottish tartan museum. or are they a ribbon type of tie? I still have a few items to correct.
    Last edited by Kilted Rogue; 18th October 10 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pocket is gusseted yes with a flap over the top like an envelope flap. The back is a fine burgandy kid leather. If you use kid leather the pocket will be very easy to do. Im working on a few sporrans right now and if you are will to make them with me so to speak I can send pictures along the way. ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rachel ,PM sent

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for these pictures. I'll be posting my first 79th sporran next month, and this picture answered a very tough question that I thought couldn't be answered, but it has -AWESOME! I was positive that the picture above showed the sporran being made of long goat hair, but the relic is absolutely horse hair, so I called it wrong. Also, the detailing of the cantle is evident in the relic pic, all you DIY'ers should study it!
    Last edited by NorCalPiper; 18th October 10 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever get my message about the 79th bonnets Norcal? PM me please! ith: Besides that....if you need any help developing the sporran and refining it (authenticty, details, ect) just let me know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast