X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waverley: or, 'Tis sixty years since (Sir Walter Scott)

I just finished reading this book. Truly delightful! Granted, it is a fictional account of the '45 Rising, written 60 years after the fact, so it's not entirely accurate in its portrayal of the culture, dress, mannerisms, etc. But as a sort of historical fiction story, it was very enjoyable.

Reading virtually any literature of that period is difficult, due to the complexities of the language. It's hard to follow. But thank goodness for my Kindle's dictionary feature (and its extensive library of Middle-English and Scottish terms)! Alas, though, much of the Latin was beyond my recollection. And the French was utter gibberish to me. But I managed to wade through it without missing much.

His first description of a kilted Highlander in the book was very interesting:

While they were on this topic, the door suddenly opened, and, ushered by Saunders Saunderson, a Highlander, fully armed and equipped, entered the apartment. Had it not been that Saunders acted the part of master of the ceremonies to this martial apparition, without appearing to deviate from his usual composure, and that neither Mr. Bradwardine nor Rose exhibited any emotion, Edward would certainly have thought the intrusion hostile. As it was, he started at the sight of what he had not yet happened to see, a mountaineer in his full national costume. The individual Gael was a stout, dark, young man, of low stature, the ample folds of whose plaid added to the appearance of strength which his person exhibited. The short kilt, or petticoat, showed his sinewy and clean-made limbs; the goat-skin purse, flanked by the usual defences, a dirk and steel-wrought pistol, hung before him; his bonnet had a short feather, which indicated his claim to be treated as a Duinhe-wassel, or sort of gentleman; a broadsword dangled by his side, a targe hung upon his shoulder, and a long Spanish fowling-piece occupied one of his hands. With the other hand he pulled off his bonnet, and the Baron, who well knew their customs, and the proper mode of addressing them, immediately said, with an air of dignity, but without rising, and much, as Edward thought, in the manner of a prince receiving an embassy, 'Welcome Evan Dhu Maccombich! What news from Fergus Mac-Ivor Vich Ian Vohr?'
    The story, of course, for those of you not familiar with it, is of a young English gentleman (from a Jacobite-leaning family) who takes up a commission in the King's army and travels to Scotland. He takes leave to visit family friends, and is caught up in a whirlwind of incidents that take him through the '45 Rising on the Jacobite side.

It was a splendid story, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend it just as a fun story.

(If you have a Kindle, this book is downloadable for free, just like any other "classic" book.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend it as well.

It's not so hard a read if you take your time with it.
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation. Always looking to add to my ever growing TBR pile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Waverly when I started out to read all of Scott's Waverley novels! A very good novel indeed.

(Now about 6 novels down and ? to go after a decades-long hiatus).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished the second of the so-called Waverley novels - Guy Mannering: or, the Astrologer. Another absolutely delightful story. No kilts in this one, but it's quite a hoot reading the descriptions of 18th-century Scottish culture. This book, thankfully, was much lighter on the Latin and French, but seemed much more thick with Lowland Scots dialect.

I'm finding it easier and easier to follow Sir Walter Scott's grammatical style, as well as the local Scots phrases. Can't wait to get started on the next book he published, The Antiquary.