X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Join Date
    5th September 10
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Interesting but complete marketing rubbish IMHO.

    Even in the dim and distant past (1946) I find it hard to believe that such a piece would not have been a) photographed, and b) loaned or given to the National Museum.

    There're shades of the Duoai Mss story here - the Sobieski Stuarts claimed it as the basis for the VS but surprise surprise they couldn't/wouldn't make it available for examination by Sir Dick Lauder.

    To paraphrase Gerry Maguire - Show me the money!

    Exactly what I think as well. Thats originally why I had inquired as to whether anyone had any special insight.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    13th May 08
    Location
    Huzhou, Zhejiang, China
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the Robertson tartan mentioned above is STWR #893. Am I correct?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,640
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris at Heathfield View Post
    I assume the Robertson tartan mentioned above is STWR #893. Am I correct?
    Correct. I examined that piece a number of years ago and checking my records (no photo) find that the count matches the sample of Prince Charles Edward's Plaid at Blair Castle mentioned in my earlier post and which is a piece of the 1821 copy rather than the original at Moyhall. That was the same sett but had a different count.
    Last edited by figheadair; 3rd December 10 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Clarification

  4. #24
    Join Date
    25th December 08
    Location
    Lotus Land
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, you are a fount of knowledge. Thank-you for your constant input.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    2nd January 10
    Location
    Crieff, Perthshire
    Posts
    3,640
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    Peter, you are a fount of knowledge. Thank-you for your constant input.
    You know what's really sad? Since Jamie Scarlett died there's no-one else with whom I can discuss the really technical details of old pieces, especially where there are anomalies, and argue concepts, theories etc. I fear that we are loosing the link which doesn't bode well for the future.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    5th September 10
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    You know what's really sad? Since Jamie Scarlett died there's no-one else with whom I can discuss the really technical details of old pieces, especially where there are anomalies, and argue concepts, theories etc. I fear that we are loosing the link which doesn't bode well for the future.
    That is sad. Very distressing.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    16th September 10
    Posts
    1,229
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    for Peter

    Peter, if there's no one left to talk with, I agree it is sad, at the same time, I am exceedingly grateful that you are who you are and that you CHOOSE to do with your time what you do. More articles, more of us talking about it and
    expressing our interest may turn up someone to sort of apprentice with you.
    Or someone already on the forum who has been willing to stand back will perceive the need to step up. This has always been the challenge of being
    1, an educator; 2, a historian. I'm sure Cajunscot would have thoughts here.
    One spends a life gathering information hoping to inspire others, I think it's
    clear you've done that. We must all have faith that the system will continue
    working as well as it has, and hope that there will be improvement.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    23rd May 06
    Location
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48 45' 51.5808" N / -122 30' 36.6228" W)
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Peter, if there's no one left to talk with, I agree it is sad, at the same time, I am exceedingly grateful that you are who you are and that you CHOOSE to do with your time what you do. More articles, more of us talking about it and
    expressing our interest may turn up someone to sort of apprentice with you.
    Or someone already on the forum who has been willing to stand back will perceive the need to step up. This has always been the challenge of being
    1, an educator; 2, a historian. I'm sure Cajunscot would have thoughts here.
    One spends a life gathering information hoping to inspire others, I think it's
    clear you've done that. We must all have faith that the system will continue
    working as well as it has, and hope that there will be improvement.
    Hear! Hear!

    I too am grateful for the work done by gentlemen like Peter, Bob Martin, and Matt Newsome. Thank you gentlemen!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Pictures of the moor/glen
    By Mark E. in forum Miscellaneous Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 3rd September 10, 03:14 PM
  2. MacDonald of Glenaladale Tartan
    By figheadair in forum The Tartan Place
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10th August 10, 02:02 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 9th May 10, 08:21 AM
  4. Kilted at Culloden Moor
    By raibeart_dubh in forum General Kilt Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 31st March 09, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0