X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macdonald Tartan found in Drummossie Moor

I have seen the famous painting of Sir Alexander Macdonald wearing what today is called the Macdonald Lord of the Isles Tartan around 1765, and of course the famous "Macdonald Boys" by Jeramiah Davidson from about 1750. I have heard the stories of the Macdonald of Kingsburgh, Borrodale, and Glenaladale Tartans and their history, but was curious if anyone had actually seen the Macdonald Tartan found in Drummossie Moor. I have heard that it was believed to be of a sett known as Clan Macdonald. Not ever having seen the original tartan I was in fact curious if it matched up to the likes of the Macdonald Modern/ancient etc found today from sources like Wilson's and like the Sobieski Stuart's VS "Clan Raynald". I know that there are those of you out there that might enlighten me. Fill me with your wisdom....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnell Mor View Post
    I have seen the famous painting of Sir Alexander Macdonald wearing what today is called the Macdonald Lord of the Isles Tartan around 1765, and of course the famous "Macdonald Boys" by Jeramiah Davidson from about 1750. I have heard the stories of the Macdonald of Kingsburgh, Borrodale, and Glenaladale Tartans and their history, but was curious if anyone had actually seen the Macdonald Tartan found in Drummossie Moor. I have heard that it was believed to be of a sett known as Clan Macdonald. Not ever having seen the original tartan I was in fact curious if it matched up to the likes of the Macdonald Modern/ancient etc found today from sources like Wilson's and like the Sobieski Stuart's VS "Clan Raynald". I know that there are those of you out there that might enlighten me. Fill me with your wisdom....
    I've never heard of any clan tartan being found at Culloden, certainly not the Clan Donald and think this rumour to be baseless. I think it's an apocryphal story probably based on the claim for the origins of Reproduction colours, itself nonesense.

Forum Administrators - suggest that this thread should be moved to the Tartan Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth go to the dc dalgleish web site and look at their reproduction tartans and the story that goes along with it. It's very interesting.
    Slainte David

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48 45' 51.5808" N / -122 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evan, if you haven't seen it yet, you might find this article written by our own Matt Newsome of interest: Pre-Culloden Tartans.

In it is mentioned a pair of Macdonald tartans, MacDonald of Kingsburg and the MacDonnell of Keppoch.

In this older (closed) thread on the Macdonell Of Keppoch are some computer generated illustrations of various Macdonnell of Keppoch tartans plus a discussion of the Battle of Mulroy (1688).
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48 45' 51.5808" N / -122 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I've never heard of any clan tartan being found at Culloden, certainly not the Clan Donald and think this rumour to be baseless. I think it's an apocryphal story probably based on the claim for the origins of Reproduction colours, itself nonesense.
    Peter, this reminds me of an individual I knew years ago who informed me that the Weathered Gordon tartan was based upon fragments dug up at Culloden. This, before I knew better
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange because the internet stories abound about the Tartan being dug up was of the Macdonald set?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Peter MacDonald deftly points out the perfect absence of any evidence to support DC Dalgleish's claims about the origins of 'Reproduction' colours casts their claim into the pit of Fanciful Invention.

Please see pg. #3 of Tartan Colours found here: http://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/research.htm

Beautiful colours still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    As Peter MacDonald deftly points out the perfect absence of any evidence to support DC Dalgleish's claims about the origins of 'Reproduction' colours casts their claim into the pit of Fanciful Invention.

Please see pg. #3 of Tartan Colours found here: http://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/research.htm

Beautiful colours still.
    Thanks...great articles on the various Tartans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post

Beautiful colours still.
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnell Mor View Post
    Yes they are

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if there is a grain of truth in the story of the discovery of a piece of tartan by a peat cutter, (albeit in a rather mundane location), that in turn inspired DC Dalgleish to create their Reproduction colours; and, as a marketing ploy, they in turn created the Culloden story to appeal to the romantics at heart?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast