X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado Black/White tie nights?

It occurs to me that after my wedding next year, I'll be the proud owner of a montrose doublet, but will have no where to wear it afterward. The future missus and I LOVE attending formal gatherings of any sort, but haven't found any to which the wearing of a doublet would be appropriate at all. Am I just out of the loop or are there really that few?

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    It occurs to me that after my wedding next year, I'll be the proud owner of a montrose doublet, but will have no where to wear it afterward. The future missus and I LOVE attending formal gatherings of any sort, but haven't found any to which the wearing of a doublet would be appropriate at all. Am I just out of the loop or are there really that few?
    Information: http://www.coloradoscots.com/events/events/events.html

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is, of course, nothing to stop you organising your own white tie event.

About 15 years ago, I was part of a 40 strong group of strangers who accidentally witnessed a minor trauma together. The decision was made that we should meet up the following year.

The first meeting was a "Bring your own Lunch" affair. We chose to meet in a restaurant for the next year. Because we all had to travel, it was decided to make a night of it and we should dress up. Black tie it was.

Five years ago, we decided on white tie. Good food with matching good wine, good company, good entertainment. We all get to dress up in our finest and just enjoy the event.

It does, of course, cost. It is not a cheap affair, but in the long run it is worth every penny.

I would say start small and black tie and then build from there.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Chas that it would be a good idea to set up your own gig, if just for the sake of the party but don't forget, if where you live is anything like where I live, most folks wouldn't know the difference between a montrose doublet and a duffle coat. This would probably allow you to wear it more frequently than you might otherwise.

Just don't wear it with white socks or before 18 hundred o'clock

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the web site I posted, there is a Burns Supper coming up in Colorado -- a perfect opportunity for Highland formal attire!

Sometimes it's right under your nose...

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    There is, of course, nothing to stop you organising your own white tie event.

About 15 years ago, I was part of a 40 strong group of strangers who accidentally witnessed a minor trauma together. The decision was made that we should meet up the following year.

The first meeting was a "Bring your own Lunch" affair. We chose to meet in a restaurant for the next year. Because we all had to travel, it was decided to make a night of it and we should dress up. Black tie it was.

Five years ago, we decided on white tie. Good food with matching good wine, good company, good entertainment. We all get to dress up in our finest and just enjoy the event.

It does, of course, cost. It is not a cheap affair, but in the long run it is worth every penny.

I would say start small and black tie and then build from there.

Regards

Chas
    Not a bad plan. A few friends and I tossed this idea around a couple years ago, but never were terribly serious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    I agree with Chas that it would be a good idea to set up your own gig, if just for the sake of the party but don't forget, if where you live is anything like where I live, most folks wouldn't know the difference between a montrose doublet and a duffle coat. This would probably allow you to wear it more frequently than you might otherwise.

Just don't wear it with white socks or before 18 hundred o'clock
    My socks are the whitest you've ever seen!!!!!!!

Just kidding.

You're right, I think most people around here wouldn't have a clue what a montrose is, so I could probably wear it out to get coffee and no one would notice. My particular area is less formal than I'd like it to be, I think. I wore a tie to one of the more fancier local restaurants, and I was completely overdressed. I even saw a few pairs of jeans and sandals and socks at the symphony a few weeks ago. Very disappointing. But, maybe my friends and I can get something started to bring some formality around.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    According to the web site I posted, there is a Burns Supper coming up in Colorado -- a perfect opportunity for Highland formal attire!

Sometimes it's right under your nose...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Thanks for the link. Seems like there are a few things every year that sound pretty fun. Formal nights and dancing are what my fiancee are really into.

T.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might oaks from little acorns grow...

As Chas has suggested (and I heartily endorse) gather together a few like minded friends and organize your own "formal" event. As to frequency, well, depending on where you live, six times a year seems to be the "limit" for most folks, although your social mileage may vary.