X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MacGregor hospitality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_La...or_hospitality

Don't ask me how I end up reading this stuff, but I found it to be quite interesting. I realize it is Wikipedia, but it's been my experience that Wikipedia is usually pretty close to the truth. Anyhow, just wondered if any of you knew more about the story to elaborate or whatnot. Thanks!

Slainte,

Zach
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Brute View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_La...or_hospitality

Don't ask me how I end up reading this stuff, but I found it to be quite interesting. I realize it is Wikipedia, but it's been my experience that Wikipedia is usually pretty close to the truth. Anyhow, just wondered if any of you knew more about the story to elaborate or whatnot. Thanks!

Slainte,

Zach

I hope one of your instructors never accepted the line that "Wikipedia is usually pretty close to the truth." It's getting better, but it's still no substitute for a good library.

I've heard that story before; a similar story, with a somewhat different result, is the famous story of Duncan Campbell of Inverawe:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...DF405B828EF1D3

T.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize it is Wikipedia, but it's been my experience that Wikipedia is usually pretty close to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post

I hope one of your instructors never accepted the line that "Wikipedia is usually pretty close to the truth." It's getting better, but it's still no substitute for a good library.
    I hear you Todd! :mrgreen:

The only time I quote wikipedia as a source is only after I've confirmed the info via 2 or more other reliable sources
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don'tfret guys, I have enough sources at school to not have to use wikipedia, but seriously, it's not that bad!!!! lol
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don'tfret guys, I have enough sources at school to not have to use wikipedia, but seriously, it's not that bad!!!! lol
    As a librarian and per-course instructor for almost 10 years, I respectfully disagree.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of its historical origins, I do believe that the moral of the story is a man's word, his honor, and his integrity is all he has. In those days such was the case of most good men. If you die rich or poor, you still die. People will not say, "I liked him because he was a rich bastard" or "He was well loved for his poverty" but they certainly will always remember a man of integrity and honor and that is how that story has survived for so long, even if the participants or actual individuals have changed over the years.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McConnell Mor View Post
    Regardless of its historical origins, I do believe that the moral of the story is a man's word, his honor, and his integrity is all he has. In those days such was the case of most good men. If you die rich or poor, you still die. People will not say, "I liked him because he was a rich bastard" or "He was well loved for his poverty" but they certainly will always remember a man of integrity and honor and that is how that story has survived for so long, even if the participants or actual individuals have changed over the years.
    And the ancient custom of Highland Hospitality...

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the real question being, "can a Lamont wear a MacGregor!?" lol:buttkick:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the real question being, "can a Lamont wear a MacGregor!?" lol:buttkick:
    No. A Lamont can, however, wear a MacGregor kilt!
    "just as the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28
    Clan Maclachlan
    Clan Hanna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=cajunscot;933460]

[QUOTE]
    I don't recommend trusting wikipedia articles themselves, but sometimes they can be quite useful for finding ACTUAL source documents... (check the links near the bottom of a decent wikipedia article) Wikipedia is usually pretty good about flagging things right at the top when source documents aren't sited.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast