X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quail and Cotton tail have been my main hunt since I was but a wee lad. Although, I have also done squirrel which is yummy. I have hunted coyote too, for their pelts. And I am going on a pig hunt in february I believe with a friend of mine.

And the best fresh water game fish there is...CRAPPIE! Delicious!!!!!

i've also had bass, trout, cat fish, sun fish, etc...but CRAPPIE by far is the best!
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

kiltedwolfman
    I am an avid bowhunter as well as gun hunter and I only hunt to put meat in the freezer. My personal preferance is the bow but I do enjoy the extanded range a rifle or shotgun gives me. To date I have successfully taken almost every big game animal in Canada, leaving out only the critters that are either protected or just wouldn't taste good.
    Last edited by kiltedwolfman; 20th December 10 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been known to fire a shot or two in my time. When in season we get ample supplies of venison(red, sika, fallow, roe, muntjac deer), hare(both brown and blue) rabbit, red grouse, pheasant, partridge(grey and redleg), woodcock, snipe, mallard, wigeon, teal, pinkfoot goose, greylag goose, canada goose and my absolute favorite----wood pigeon.On the fish front, Atlantic salmon, migrating sea trout and brown trout out of freshwater and countless numbers of wonderful sea fish and shellfish from our coastal waters.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bow, muzzle loader, modern rifle, and fly fisher.
    Personal favorites would have to be elk steak, and salmon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKScott View Post
    Searching brings up a bunch of hunting tartan threads, I am talking about freezer meat.

I have some caribou and some moose in my freezer right now, neither are particulary exotic in Alaska. 'bou shank makes an excellent broth if you like your French Onion Soup on the delicate side. I use two slices of provolone, a slice of swiss and a pinch of asiago in each tureen.

Bird hunters welcome. We raised chicken on the farm when I was a kid and I am pretty well put off poultry for life; if you haven't overdosed on feathered game already smoothbore hunting is plenty cool as a pursuit.

Just asking.
    I live in the homeland of the ruffed grouse. I had a decade-long layover, partly due to injury, but expect to be back out again next season. Ain't nuthin' funner, as long as you like to walk. Averages out to about 5 miles per bird but that's only if your shooting is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by auld argonian View Post
    Only a beer hunter...

Best

AA
    MoR sort of beat me to it, but I was going to say that would make a really good title for a movie! I know several lives it could be based on too. Appropos of nothing special, combining these posts has reminded me of the old Appalachian saying that three ways of ruining a good man are to give him a shotgun, a fiddle, or a jug of the finest....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old hunting partner tried jack rabbit one morning when we'd no luck with the ducks...said it tasted like chicken....not really
    I've got a lot of jackrabbits around my place, but I've always been told that they're too stringy and tough to bother with. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer my recurve but I do shoot rifle and shotgun as well.

Grew up hunting both big game and small game. I do more small game than anything anymore. Ruffed grouse, rabbits and squirrel for the most part. Woodcock are kinda hard to find around home but they are really good. One good sized whitetail will take me through the winter since most of my family doesn't seem to like it no matter how it's prepared. I say it's mostly in their heads! Haha!

For fishing I stay with bass, brook trout and these big pumpkinseed sunfish from a farm pond close by. I've had the pumkinseeds hit on buzz baits! Tons of fun!
    I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. - Fred Bear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I've got a lot of jackrabbits around my place, but I've always been told that they're too stringy and tough to bother with. What do you think?
    The trick to jack rabbit and old, tough cotton tail is to boil the meat slowly, then fry it up. Mmmm MMmmm MMM good!
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are stringy and can be a little tough. I have taken them home on occasion in the past, but now leave them alone. The best method to prepare them is to separate each of the front legs, rear legs, and "backstraps" or spinal section, soak them in a brine solution for 6-12 hours, then marinate them in teriaki sauce overnight, then grill them. This seems to tenderize and adds flavor too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also heard that you can rub the jack rabbit with butter and garlic, place it on a plank, bake for 6 hours at 450 degree, then discard the rabbit and eat the plank...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast