X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Scottish shops in Mass.

hi all i am new to the boards and i am looking for some help. I am in the process of planning my wedding and i was hoping to have myself and the groomsmen in kilts to celebrate my Scottish heritage. the only problem is i want to wear my tartan (Macpherson) but i would like to rent, so as not every one in the wedding party has to shell out big money for a one time deal. now the issues I'm running into is finding a place that will rent out specific tartans (most seem to be limited to 5 or 6).

so i was wondering if any one knew of some Scottish shops in the MA or New England area that may be bale to help me out. now i realize that getting a specific tartan to rent me be difficult so my next compromise would be to buy my own kilt and rent a basic kilt (possibly black watch) for the wedding party.

any help would e greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome!

Second, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Now on to business.... Since the Atholl Brose in Cambridge closed a year or so ago, I'm not aware of any Scottish shops in the Boston area (not that they did rentals anyway). Are you w/in 128, or further afield? I'm not sure if the Scottish Lion still has a shop in NH, but last time I checked (a while ago) their rental selection was pretty basic.

Honestly, your best bet might be to expand your scope of possible vendors. I don't know if any of the X Marks partners do rentals, but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not aware of any Scottish shops in MA, but can tell you that none of the rental places I DO know of rent MacPherson. Typically, they rent universal tartans (like Black Watch, Irish National, Scottish national, Flower of Scotland, etc) and/or they rent the biggest clan names (Stewart, MacDonald, Campbell).

You can find plenty of places online that sell kilts and some that rent them. This forum has about 12 or 13 places to buy kilts linked on this page! The closest place I know that rents to you is pipers cove in Kearny NJ (right up by NYC).

Best of luck with the upcoming nuptuals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to be worrying about everyone wearing the same tartan, you really don't have to if you were over here in Scotland those that have their own kilts would wear them to the wedding and those that done would rent for the wedding.

Best wishes anyway Jordan
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.kiltrentalusa.com/available-tartans

Someone else is renting from these guys, but they are in Arizona. They have a lot more tartans available than other hire shops. They do list a MacPherson tartan in their limited range. Might be worth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might check Celtic Isles in Westford MA. There is also a place in Keene, NH - Heather and Thistle. I have not been to either one. Celtic Isles gets the supplies that the pipe band I have just associated with uses. I am sure you can find some in the Boston area.

Oh, yeah, and WELCOME TO XMARKS from the highlands of Central Massachusetts.

Where are you in MA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a fellow MacPherson in CT! I can't help out with a rental spot, but I'd encourage you to do some thinking and research here on XMarks and consider ordering a kilt of your own, made to measure, from one of the sponsor vendors here.
    Personally I have kilts in the MacPherson tartans from both Rocky at USAKilts and the good folks at Burnett's & Struth up in Canada.
    Congrats and good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Mass-hole here. Sturbridge MA.. Anyway I say have the guys find a kilt rental shop online and get a universal tartan such as blackwatch. As for you spend the money and get a proper kilt. I'm sure your lady is going to drop a few bucks on her wedding dress. I say you do the same! The difference is you can wear your kilt to scotch taistings, the Sam Adams Oktoberfest in Boston and every wedding as well as formal night on your next cruise.
    That being said once you go kilted you are going to want to buy a good kilt anyway. It's like clothing crack. It's darn hard to quit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Aboard form the Midlands of South Carolina and Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I can only echo that a kilt is equivalent of crack: Darn addicting and once you have one the next thing you know is that you have three! Just the ability to wear one piece of clothing in nearly any venue is nothing less than amazing.
    I've found that most relationships work best when no one wears pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks every one for the advice, and well wishes! i will definitely check out some of those locations. for those wondering i am from Brockton, MA but in 10 days i will be moving to Southern Oregon. the wedding will be here in Mass which is why i was looking for a local shop.

i know that a traditional scottish wedding the men would probably not be wearing matching kilts but i wanted some form of continuity, and most of the grooms men are family so it wouldve worked out. i will most likely buy my own official tartan and have the guys rent a basic as it seems thats the way i will have to go. and i will definitely post some pictures of the wedding. although that wont be until 2012.

happy kilting every one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast