X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History of Scotland series online

Just a heads up that the BBC's 10 part series on the history of Scotland can be seen online at the knowledge network's website. A great series that cuts through much of the mythology. The second to last episode has a segment on kilts and tartans - and calls it like it is. The small kilt was not highland clothing and most tartans did not have clan connections until the 1800's. For me this helps to end the age old question "Can I wear this tartan?" They were mostly made up - heck ya .. wear it if you like it. If anyone gives you grief - cite the BBC.

http://www.knowledge.ca/program/a-history-of-scotland

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBC View Post
    The second to last episode has a segment on kilts and tartans - and calls it like it is. The small kilt was not highland clothing
    Huh??
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walter Scott was largely responsible for the current concept as to what highland culture was though his books and by staging a royal visit (interesting note is that the King paid about 1000 pounds for his kilt for the event - that was some kilt). The British army also played a role in defining the kilt. For me this does not take away from the kilt or tartans but only serves to show that they are items that have changed over time and should continue to change.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walter Scott was largely responsible for the current concept as to what highland culture was though his books and by staging a royal visit (interesting note is that the King paid about 1000 pounds for his kilt for the event - that was some kilt). The British army also played a role in defining the kilt. For me this does not take away from the kilt or tartans but only serves to show that they are items that have changed over time and should continue to change.
    I agree that Sir Walter Scott (& the later Victorians) have defined a lot of what we know as the Highland traditions/culture of today.

Yeah, the British army helped define the kilt as we know it today, but it had a longer tradition (both the feilidh-mór & the feilidh-beag) in Scotland than the British army

If you haven't done so, I'd highly recommend Matt Newsome's historical articles on the development of the kilt. They're well worth the read.

Thanks by the way on the heads up on the series, I've been interested in seeing it (I think its on youtube too).
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (interesting note is that the King paid about 1000 pounds for his kilt for the event - that was some kilt).

Any reason given for it costing so much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so this won't play in my area...bummer.

But here is some really creepy stuff. I was so bummed out about this fact, I flipped through the Tele to get to pbs, and guess what was on? Not the same thing you posted--i dont believe...but a show about SCOTLAND!!?!?!?!? No joke! Im freaked...

Anyhow, thanks for the post!

Slainte,

Zach
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Brute View Post
    Ok, so this won't play in my area...bummer.

But here is some really creepy stuff. I was so bummed out about this fact, I flipped through the Tele to get to pbs, and guess what was on? Not the same thing you posted--i dont believe...but a show about SCOTLAND!!?!?!?!? No joke! Im freaked...

Anyhow, thanks for the post!

Slainte,

Zach
    Zach,

if you got to youtube & type in "The History of Scotland", you will find it posted there.

I'd post it on here for everyone, but the way its been broken up there would be way too many parts to post!

(maybe I'll find the kilt portion Bruce mentioned & post it )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks, it is episode number 9. At about 33 minutes is the part about Scott's Gathering of the Clans and his invention of Scottish history and culture. Episode 8 has some interesting material about the Jacobites who went to the Caribbean after Culloden and made a fortune off slavery (as did the Glasgow sugar merchants)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1358 pounds comes out to over 100,000 pounds in today's money. I think he was overcharged

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks, it is episode number 9. At about 33 minutes is the part about Scott's Gathering of the Clans and his invention of Scottish history and culture. Episode 8 has some interesting material about the Jacobites who went to the Caribbean after Culloden and made a fortune off slavery (as did the Glasgow sugar merchants)

Thanks Bruce!

I just started watching episode 9 on youtube (each episode there is broken into 6 parts).

The 1358 pounds comes out to over 100,000 pounds in today's money. I think he was overcharged

I'd say!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast