X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Eagle (2011)

I haven't read the book this is based upon, but does anyone know who the woad /mud wearing, Native American looking tribe is suppose to represent? The Picts?

Interesting looking film, I hear Gaelic is partially spoken in it.
    I think I'll check it out. Scheduled for a February 11th release.

The Eagle (2011) - IMDb

In 140 AD, twenty years after the unexplained disappearance of the entire Ninth Legion in the mountains of Scotland, young centurion Marcus Aquila (Tatum) arrives from Rome to solve the mystery and restore the reputation of his father, the commander of the Ninth. Accompanied only by his British slave Esca (Bell), Marcus sets out across Hadrian's Wall into the uncharted highlands of Caledonia - to confront its savage tribes, make peace with his father's memory, and retrieve the lost legion's golden emblem, the Eagle of the Ninth.

The Eagle | A Focus Features Film (Official Site)
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks awesome. Gotta see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the fence about it... I'm curious though.
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - the Eagle of the Ninth - there is a book of that name but I am not sure if it is the same story.

The fate of the Ninth legion is something of a mystery - though an Eagle standard with the wings broken off was discovered buried some years ago. (Just checked - the eagle found at Silchester was not a standard - possibly from a statue of Jupiter)

I believe that the Ninth Legion had been serving in Africa before being sent North, so there would have been men with dark and very dark skin serving in it.

Perhaps the weather defeated them - I know some people of African ancestry have very poor tolerance of cold weather.

I knew a young man in my student days who used to have me cut his hair as it was a mixure of straight and crimped and he said no barber could cut it properly. He had a slight but distinct Negroid look, dark red hair, and long limbs - his skin was the typical very pale blue of the Scots - both his parents were Scottish and lived way off the beaten track.

At that time several people I knew who had read Eagle of the Ninth put forward the theory that not all the legion had died North of the wall.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    Last edited by Pleater; 1st January 11 at 05:05 PM. Reason: correcting original

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Sutcliffe, who wrote a lot of educational historical fiction for young adults. One of my very favorite books in high school; one of two that dealt with Scotland/Northern England. An invalided but young former Centurion sets out with his British slave/companion to recover the eagle of the lost Roman Ninth Legion who had been ordered to march north years before, and had done so until they disappeared- apparently a factual happening. They have to get the eagle because it's being used to rally the northern natives for a massive uprising. Lots of primitive acting out on the part of the Picts. If this movie isn't based on that story, I'm a goose. I believe the bit about the father is Hollywoodization though- Ms Sutcliffe never channeled Freud.

As far as the dePiction* in the trailer goes- it's the Blue Curse of Mel Gibson! They also invoked his Road Warrior movies! I know the Picts were supposed to be small and dark and dyed blue, but I've always had to wonder how much of that was the result of 19th Century 'social theory'....

Anyway, I must see this movie. I demand to see this movie. Bring this movie to me!

*joke intended there
    Last edited by Lallans; 1st January 11 at 05:36 PM.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck of NI View Post
    The Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Sutcliffe, who wrote a lot of educational historical fiction for young adults. One of my very favorite books in high school; one of two that dealt with Scotland/Northern England. An invalided but young former Centurion sets out with his British slave/companion to recover the eagle of the lost Roman Ninth Legion who had been ordered to march north years before, and had done so until they disappeared- apparently a factual happening. They have to get the eagle because it's being used to rally the northern natives for a massive uprising. Lots of primitive acting out on the part of the Picts. If this movie isn't based on that story, I'm a goose.
    That would be it Canuck...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck of NI View Post
    Anyway, I must see this movie. I demand to see this movie. Bring this movie to me!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a bit of nonsensical fun you might enjoy while waiting for "The Eagle":

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Centuri...r&trkid=222336
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's a bit of nonsensical fun you might enjoy while waiting for "the eagle":

http://www.netflix.com/movie/centuri...r&trkid=222336
    i watched that movie a few weeks ago,
    it was predictable but enertaining,
    i hope "the eagle is better"
    I'm an 18th century guy born into the 20th century and have been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there really are blue people not just painted blue

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...of-blue-people

wikopedia says so
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methemoglobinemia
    so it must be true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40+ years ago, I used to do a little low rock climbing in the area where the ninth disappeared. My memory of it is as an unforgiving and totally desolate place that the gods forgot. Even the sheep seemed to feel the place was cursed...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast