X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mil.Box Pleat ?Baste? ?Iron? Tutorial Needed

Matt & Barb, and other kiltmakers, how do you baste and iron a military box pleated kilt?

And @box pleated kilt wearers on XMarks, how do you maintain your box pleated kilts? Do you all baste and iron your kilts following a wash? Must the pleats be basted before ironing?

I have seen tutorials on basting and ironing knife pleated kilts, but none on basting and ironing Box pleated kilts. Barbs book doesn't seem to address this.
    '
    Can someone tell the full story?

I reenact the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders as they fought in WWII, 1939-1946. In contrast to some units, the Argylls wore box pleated kilts, not knife pleated, in the Government Sett [Black Watch tartan to some]. I am interested in learning how to wash and iron my box pleated kilts.

Here is a "new" one with the basting stiches still in, ex military surplus [MOD contractor]. It looks like a complex procedure was used, in which the pleats were compacted for purposes of putting the stiches in each pleat, and there is a bit of thread run through the center of the "box" in the pleat.

Can someone demonstrate and describe how to do this? I know that there are some folks on here who have some experience with military kilt making.

Here are some photos showing what I am referring to in order to get the discussion started:

Pleat Overview with Basting Stiches

Closer Rear View Basted Box Pleats

Close Up of the Underside, Showing Pleat Compaction

"Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a need to wash my box-pleats. I just hang them up when I'm done wearing them and let any wrinkles fall out on their own. I have ironed my knife-pleat, but I didn't baste it beforehand.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like box pleated kilts and have three at this point. It is a good question. Also, is it me, or are the creases not as sharp on the box pleat as on a knife pleat?

Geoff Withnell
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year ago, a man sent me a military box pleated kilt that had been rumpled and stuffed in a bag in a closet for a long time. It was very heavy weight Black Watch. I pressed out the pleats below the fell, down to the bottom of the kilt. Then I carefully aligned, positioned and pinned each of the new pleats. Instead of basting across the pleats as in your photo, I basted each pleat vertically down the length. As in your cross section of the bottom, each pleat involved 4 layers of heavy wool, plus the thickness of the pleat underneath. To press the pleats, I left more wetness in my press cloth than usual. I make no claims at all to be an expert on military box pleated kilts, but this system worked and the customer was happy with the results.
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts