X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Yes, to all appearances, but you have to realize that these issues were the subjects of literally thousands of treatises before John Prebble and other late-twentieth century popular press writers came on the scene. I'm not decrying Prebble's thoroughly enjoyable writing, but I am pointing out that the subjects he wrote about have been addressed with far greater knowledge and devotion to historical accuracy by others before and after him.
    Right enough, but I came from a house where Scottish Literature was the Press & Journal and the People's Friend.

Prebble's books where the ones in the local library that appealed the most, without being overly dull, or full of the Bonnie prince romance. It's probably a generational thing, but Prebble's books stuck with me. I regularly took the train to an apprentice's course at Inverness Technical College, as it was in 1978. It was quite galvanising reading about the Loyalist army approaching Drumossie as I was sat on the train reading it as we passed the the stations of Elgin, Forres and Nairn, the route Cumberland's men took.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well put, MacSpadger.
    The popular author (like John Prebble) has a role to play in disseminating information that is almost as important as that played by the researchers who have published papers.
    Researchers publish their work in journals that are read by other academics, not John Public.
    It takes a Prebble to bring this material to light.
    Robert Ardrey was not a scientist – in fact his claim to fame was that he wrote plays.
    But he popularised a trend in scientific thinking through his books starting with The Territorial Imperative.
    Much of the material he put forth in his early books was contradicted by his later writing. This because archæology, palæontology and the sum of knowledge of early humanoids developed markedly during the time in which he was writing.
    Without Prebble, the issues he wrote about might have remained in dusty journals, and not come up in public debate.
    It is useful to focus on his errors, because he is far from perfect. But he revitalised public interest in the Scottish past in a revolutionary way.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123