X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Thanks for the thread Terry. As always, you have given us something to think about, and in my case, enlighten me about something I knew nought about. Cheers mate
    Thank you Mike, and everyone else for your kind words. I'm very happy to do it (& very pleased you all enjoy it).

I'm also enjoying the discussion that has followed thus far!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Thanks John.

I didn't mean to imply that the Galloglass & the Ulster-Scots were one and the same. I actually meant to convey "belonging to either or". Sorry for the confusion.
    No problem, brother!

By the way, in the third picture, do you think those two on the very far right are warming their bums by the fire or just mooning the bard?
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by slohairt View Post
    No problem, brother!

By the way, in the third picture, do you think those two on the very far right are warming their bums by the fire or just mooning the bard?

Oh my, I just can't stop laughing! :mrgreen:
    Thanks, I needed that!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BoldHighlander,
    Henshall's report

This is a link to jstor, which holds all sorts of academic articles and journals, you need to be signed in via an academic/research body, but they have a great collection of all sort of pages. It's possible that some of you might be able to have access to it,I've spent many, many hours looking at all sorts of papers, sometimes just following links

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhenry View Post
    BoldHighlander,
    Henshall's report

This is a link to jstor, which holds all sorts of academic articles and journals, you need to be signed in via an academic/research body, but they have a great collection of all sort of pages. It's possible that some of you might be able to have access to it,I've spent many, many hours looking at all sorts of papers, sometimes just following links
    Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I'm not affiliated with any academic/research body.
    I won't give up hope of reading it though.

p.s. thanks for adding the art illustrations earlier!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great series of photos Terry- you are to be commended. I do think the tartans found in Irish bogs, and from several of which are derived the 'Ulster' series of modern tartans as well as those from several other Republican counties, belonged to transplanted Scots. Mind you, I wasn't there at the time, that I can remember anyway .

What I also find interesting is the depiction of the barefoot manner of Irish dress. I remember from the PBS series 'the Story of English' that some Anglo-Irish noble families, and/or Irish families that adopted British titles, were showing off in the barefoot style as seen in their oil portraits. When this series first aired there was some unintentially funny muttering in the background of those with me (ancient family members they were) to the effect that the Irish always did corrupt everyone who set foot on the island... except of course for the Ulster Scots... but I was smiling and thinking that with any number of Irish names in the gene pool they were kidding themselves.

Always hated shoes myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I'm not affiliated with any academic/research body.
    I won't give up hope of reading it though.
    We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234