X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland unit uniforms

I am interested in some reenacting and two impressions I have considered doing are a highlander in one of the highland units in both the French and Indian war in America and the American revolution.

I need info on jackets worn and other accouterments. Illustrated info is better but I can work from text if it's descriptive enough.

I am also interested in a Napoleonic era impression but I found several sources of information that helped me understand that better on my own.

My interest in creating these impressions is based on film connections I have with companies that recruit extras for tv and film projects in the US. I assume that a highlander with the 42nd would be most in demand but if I can get another length of tartan and plausibly portray another unit I am interested in that as well.

First of all, I have encountered various opinions as to whether or not the 42nd wore the government sett from the beginning with some sources indicating a red tartan or one with red and white in it. Any comment?

ozarkjacobite is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know the 42nd regiment wore the Govt. sett during both the 7 Years War & the American Revolution. However, there was also the 78th regiment (Fraser Highlanders) which I have read wore the Govt. sett & also a variation of the Fraser Old sett during the French & Indian War. It wouldn't hurt to check out some of the websites of living history groups that portray the time period(s) that you want to do. Believe me, as a former living historian myself, these guys are a fountain of info & usually have links to their various approved vendors.

Zach Caselman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlanders in Fr and Indian War & American Revolution

The 78th Fraser Highlanders are recreated today - with chapters in a few Canadian cities. They have a website with photos. The 78th wasn't around by the Revolution. Their big day on the battlefield was at Quebec, in 1759.

As for the 42nd - I believe wore the tartan they have still - the "government" tartan - but I think many ended up in breeches as the kilts wore out and were not replaced.

A "normal" re-enactment uniform from the period runs about $1000 for uniform and $1000 for a Brown Bess. Add a kilt to that - and no worsted wool mind you - the kilts then were hairy like a blanket and well over 20 oz and this will cost you. "Battle weight" means heavy. You need not go that route. Re-enactors are dedicated but of course far older than the real soldiers whose roles they recreate. Young men haven't the time or money for this hobby, usually.

Some people have said my views haven't credibility - but I've seen the Black Watch's tartan from the period in their museum in Perth, Scotland. No question about what it looks like. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW I'm a tailor, kiltmaker and I make period clothing for films so I can get cloth cheaply and make all the necessary clothing items myself.

The guns on the other hand are still pricey...

I have actually considered getting two Black Watch bankets and stitching them together to make a suitable great kilt in a heavy tartan but I would probably still go for the 18oz worsted because it takes wear and tear better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown Besses etc.

If you buy a repro Pedersoli musket - you can fire it safely. Fire an antique musket and you could end up dead. I do think that considering the economic circumstances, you may find one second hand that someone is trying to unload - no pun intended.

Then you have to learn the drill from the period if you're in a group.

The blanket idea is not bad - cheap at least. I did some of this though and have some 'pulls' from brambles etc in my one kilt. Not really worth it. The Black Watch kilt from the era looked exactly like blanket material as I recall.

ozarkjacobite is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, try to find a 1st or 2nd Land Pattern Brown Bess second. Also check out the website for Liberty Arms in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liberty Arms or Loyalist Arms? If you are thinking Loyalist Arms they do very good reproductions but you can get a better one custom made or made from parts from the Rifle Shop.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonman View Post
    The 78th Fraser Highlanders are recreated today - with chapters in a few Canadian cities. They have a website with photos. The 78th wasn't around by the Revolution. Their big day on the battlefield was at Quebec, in 1759.
    That of course was the first time that they were raised. Due to renumbering of the Line Regiments the regiment was re-raised in 1775 as the 71st Fraser's Highlanders and at roughly the same time (1778) the 78th number was allocated to the Ross-shire Regiment. They in turn were renumbered as the 72nd and a third 78th raised in 1793. The 72nd and 78th amalgamated in 1881 as the Seaforth Highlanders.

As for the 42nd - I believe wore the tartan they have still - the "government" tartan - but I think many ended up in breeches as the kilts wore out and were not replaced.
    Agreed.

Add a kilt to that - and no worsted wool mind you - the kilts then were hairy like a blanket and well over 20 oz and this will cost you. "Battle weight" means heavy. You need not go that route.
    All tartan at that period was worsted. I've examined literally dozens of pieces of pre-1800 tartan; none is hairy and whilst some pieces were heavier that others this was a feature of a thicker yarn less densely woven.

Some people have said my views haven't credibility - but I've seen the Black Watch's tartan from the period in their museum in Perth, Scotland. No question about what it looks like. Good luck.
    I beg to differ. The oldest piece of tartan that the museum owns is in a Crimean era kilt made from Wilsons' cloth. Indeed, there is no surviving piece of 42nd cloth pre-c1800.
    Last edited by figheadair; 11th January 11 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothir Ethelnor View Post
    BTW I'm a tailor, kiltmaker and I make period clothing for films so I can get cloth cheaply and make all the necessary clothing items myself.

The guns on the other hand are still pricey...

I have actually considered getting two Black Watch bankets and stitching them together to make a suitable great kilt in a heavy tartan but I would probably still go for the 18oz worsted because it takes wear and tear better.
    If you are going to do this properly then the cloth must be offset with a selvedge mark. Black Watch blankets would be historically quite wrong in texture, weight and colour. To do otherwise is equivalent to using a single barrelled shotgun as a Brown Bess.
    Last edited by figheadair; 11th January 11 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkjacobite View Post
    As far as I know the 42nd regiment wore the Govt. sett during both the 7 Years War & the American Revolution. However, there was also the 78th regiment (Fraser Highlanders) which I have read wore the Govt. sett & also a variation of the Fraser Old sett during the French & Indian War. It wouldn't hurt to check out some of the websites of living history groups that portray the time period(s) that you want to do. Believe me, as a former living historian myself, these guys are a fountain of info & usually have links to their various approved vendors.

Zach Caselman
    There is a great deal of controversy over what was worn by the original 78th and the fact is, we just don’t know. The traditional dye used for red in tartan, cochineal, was a very expensive. For that reason alone I don’t believe that the regiment would have been clothed in a red tartan and that a blue, green and black type sett, possibly the Government sett, decorated or plain was probably worn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast