X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to make out, but perhaps almost like Douglas Modern with the azure line replaced with white?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it.

I'm pretty sure he's wearing County Kerry in the car.

I had to laugh since that one can't even be twenty years old. I recently saw The Queen and remarked that Charles was wearing a very modern tartan at one point as well and wondered if the designer hadn't chosen something to represent the Balmoral tartan which the actors, of course, wouldn't be permitted to wear.

Do I get a cracker?
    Last edited by xman; 15th January 11 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what ever it is (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be Balmoral tartan) Guy Pierce (as Edward VIII) is seen wearing a suit of the same tartan once Colin Firth & Helena Bonham-Carter (the Duke and Duchess of York) arrive at Balmoral Castle.
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 15th January 11 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    I... wondered if the designer hadn't chosen something to represent the Balmoral tartan which the actors, of course, wouldn't be permitted to wear.
    Actually the Palace goes out of its way to be extremely helpful to motion picture companies, and I rather suspect that permission to use Balmoral tartan would have been granted, if it had been requested.

If that's not Balmoral tartan (sorry, didn't bring my Boy's Book of Tartans with me to the cinema) it is more than likely down to the time constraints involved in having to run up enough material (in different weights) to make both a kilt and a suit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    If that's not Balmoral tartan (sorry, didn't bring my Boy's Book of Tartans with me to the cinema) it is more than likely down to the time constraints involved in having to run up enough material (in different weights) to make both a kilt and a suit.
    It's certainly not Balmoral. A quick Google will reveal pictures of Geo VI wearing: Htg Stewart, Gordon, Erracht and King George VI. There are possibly two other setts but it's hard to determine the sett but none is what is worn in the film.

As a tartan historian this, and similar, costume errors really get me going. The costume designer only had five and a half weeks from commission to filming so would have had to work from stock material but it would still have been possible to do things right. It's not as though a film like this doesn't have the budget it's just poor research and sloppy attention to detail

Here's an interview with the costume designer. Attention to detail is the watchword but no mention of tartan. http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/enterta...e-kings-speech

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King speech tartan.

The King is wearing Modern Douglas,regimental tartan of the Cameronians The Scottish Rifles.As reigning monarch he automatically becomes Colonel in Chief of armed forces.

After getting a better look at the sett as stated this is not douglas.Think i might need to get specs or a bigger laptop.

And all Scots Bn have a kilt in their regiment wether it is Pipes and Drums even the lowland regiments
    Last edited by millykilts; 16th January 11 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Better picture showing more detail on sett.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millykilts View Post
    The King is wearing Modern Douglas,regimental tartan of the Cameronians The Scottish Rifles.As reigning monarch he automatically becomes Colonel in Chief of armed forces.
    No he's not. Here's a better clip showing the sett. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9YUS...eature=related and here's the tartan in detail. Definitely not Douglas.

It's also worth pointing out that the Cameronians were not a kilted regiment except for the pipers.

Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    I saw it.

I'm pretty sure he's wearing County Kerry in the car.

I had to laugh since that one can't even be twenty years old. I recently saw The Queen and remarked that Charles was wearing a very modern tartan at one point as well and wondered if the designer hadn't chosen something to represent the Balmoral tartan which the actors, of course, wouldn't be permitted to wear.

Do I get a cracker?
    I reckon you probably do. Well done. Designed in 1997 so if it is then this is a real historical blunder.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millykilts View Post
    Whilst members of the Royal family do serve as Colonels-in-Chief of British & Commonwealth regiments, in the case of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), the only C-i-C of that particular regiment was HM King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up King's kilt

That's got to be right - the Modern Douglas I mean. The producers seemed such sticklers for accuracy that they would go to great lengths to not make a mistake. You have good eyes and patience to spare to pick that detail up. Funny, in that clip of the drive to Balmoral, one just knew something was up when they passed those trees coming down.

I am not sure many Americans understand the titanic nature of the abdication crisis in its day but I've studied the period intensively and the movie gets the politics right, and the portraits of caddish conflicted Edward and his gorgonish girlfriend are bang on. Or is that a violation of Forum Rule #5? (Perhaps I'll be complained about by someone from Baltimore now. Another welcome for a new guy! )

The Cameronians had a long and distinguished history going back to the days of the Scottish covenant and elected for total disbandment rather than take their chances in an amalgamation.

Video of their final passing out parade and laying up of their colours is on Utube somewhere.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast