X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have watched this movie since the penultimate post. I'm not sure how this thread colored my perspective, but it doesn't seem to have had much of an adverse effect. Intellectually I knew "Bertie" was wearing the County Kerry tartan, which wouldn't be designed for another fifty to sixty years, but I didn't really notice it to the extent that it detracted from the movie. If I hadn't seen this thread I probably would have wondered what tartan he was wearing, and why it wasn't one I was familiar with, which might have been more distracting.

I am still a bit curious about the process by which the County Kerry tartan was selected, though. I don't think it would have taken the costume designer much to find an expert on tartans (perhaps one who was consulted for Rob Roy (1995)...) and ask him what tartans apart from the Balmoral George VI was known to have worn, and particularly what he might have worn during the brief reign of his elder brother.

I could have done without this headline, but I guess anachronism doesn't sell as well as imagined slights to national pride.

Chirs is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris at Heathfield View Post
    I have watched this movie since the penultimate post. I'm not sure how this thread colored my perspective, but it doesn't seem to have had much of an adverse effect. Intellectually I knew "Bertie" was wearing the County Kerry tartan, which wouldn't be designed for another fifty to sixty years, but I didn't really notice it to the extent that it detracted from the movie. If I hadn't seen this thread I probably would have wondered what tartan he was wearing, and why it wasn't one I was familiar with, which might have been more distracting.

I am still a bit curious about the process by which the County Kerry tartan was selected, though. I don't think it would have taken the costume designer much to find an expert on tartans (perhaps one who was consulted for Rob Roy (1995)...) and ask him what tartans apart from the Balmoral George VI was known to have worn, and particularly what he might have worn during the brief reign of his elder brother.

I could have done without this headline, but I guess anachronism doesn't sell as well as imagined slights to national pride.
    But, we're famous! "The curious choice of highland dress -- the tartan is believed to be a 1997 Co Kerry -- has sparked a furious debate among the kilted cognoscenti world-wide. They have flooded the tartan lovers' website Xmarksthescot with their views."

Yea, it all seems a bit silly.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213