X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.gaelicthemes.net/?3-quaich,77

Slap an Xmarks badge in the center, and you are good to go. Why reinvent the wheel?

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac View Post
    Here's a setup we use for the Lamonts. The plaque contains our badge, home and harp -

It was made by one of own.

Here is a pic of it's travel when it came my way -

It will also be heading with me to a Mardi Gras weekend next month.

Is this what you had in mind?

Jim

Gasp! Ulster symbolism! Gasp!

I of course like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the Battle of the Thingamabobs! Not quite the North Inch... yet.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could more that one thing be going around? Seems we have a lot of folks in a lot of different places. Just a thought ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barry View Post
    I understand the idea, and you're technically correct. I was just pointing out that when I see a flask, the last thing that I think of is OJ. I also don't believe that I'm alone in this. I wasn't saying that it was a bad idea, but I still think that a flask detracts a bit, I would rather the icon (on a sidenote, could we please call it our "standard"? That would be awesome) be an innocuous item, with no extra "baggage" attached to it. Or as little as possible, at least.

Please realize that I'm not trying to be divisive. Just trying to add a new flavor to the idea mill.
    Ah! Gotcha. I see what you're getting at. Sorry.

Here's a setup we use for the Lamonts. The plaque contains our badge, home and harp -

Here is a pic of it's travel when it came my way -

It will also be heading with me to a Mardi Gras weekend next month.

Is this what you had in mind?

Jim
    I like it! I like that a lot, as a matter of fact. It gives me ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    http://www.gaelicthemes.net/?3-quaich,77

Slap an Xmarks badge in the center, and you are good to go. Why reinvent the wheel?

T.
    Well, very simply, because we've discussed it not being something distinctly Scottish, but something more universal. And we had discussed it being something made by the people on this board. Otherwise a quiach would be a great idea!
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, very simply, because we've discussed it not being something distinctly Scottish, but something more universal. And we had discussed it being something made by the people on this board. Otherwise a quiach would be a great idea!
    Then you shouldn't have the Xmarks badge, because it is based on a Scottish clan badge, and designed by a Scottish firm.

By the way, Gaelic Themes was the firm who designed and produced the Xmarks badge. And a quaich is the symbol of Highland hospitality; traditionally guests in the Highlands were met with a quaich and a wee dram as a welcome -- what more fitting symbolism, regardless of its origin?

I'm done with this...suit yourself.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for referance, I am not in the pic.

Maybe this isn't a good idea afterall.

The was a lot of heat retiring one and now people seem to be getting upset on a item that is meant to bring people together.

If we end up having multiple items are we going to devide ourselves into camps? I want to be part of "that" items journey but not "their's."

If this items are done in an atmosphere of anger they aren't going to be of any value.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Robb View Post
    Could more that one thing be going around? Seems we have a lot of folks in a lot of different places. Just a thought ...
    That's a thought I had a little while ago too. I know a lot of members outside North America waited for an airship that never showed up. Maybe having a couple of items floating around would be a good thing. Perhaps one could start in Europe, one in Australia, etc. and they could all make their way around the world. At least then our friends overseas might not wait for years to get in on it. I'm not suggesting everyone start mailing trinkets around, but perhaps two or three would be okay. It's certainly not carved in stone that there can be only one!
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for referance, I am not in the pic.

Maybe this isn't a good idea afterall.

The was a lot of heat retiring one and now people seem to be getting upset on a item that is meant to bring people together.

If we end up having multiple items are we going to devide ourselves into camps? I want to be part of "that" items journey but not "their's."

If this items are done in an atmosphere of anger they aren't going to be of any value.

Jim
    Drac,

If my last post caused you to write this, then my apologies. For the record, I really don't have a dog in the hunt. I'm just gobsmacked that a traditional symbol of hospitality in the area where Highland dress originated from would be so easily dismissed, especially since the firm that designed the forum badge produces a unique item.

I like the idea of your Clan Lamont carving; we have a similar item in our clan society, "The Stone of Altyre", which is passed to the new society president from the immediate past one as a symbol of the transition of authority.

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Then you shouldn't have the Xmarks badge, because it is based on a Scottish clan badge, and designed by a Scottish firm.

By the way, Gaelic Themes was the firm who designed and produced the Xmarks badge. And a quaich is the symbol of Highland hospitality; traditionally guests in the Highlands were met with a quaich and a wee dram as a welcome -- what more fitting symbolism, regardless of its origin?

I'm done with this...suit yourself.

T.
    Uh... Did I say something offensive? If I answered your question in some sort of insulting way, I apologize. It wasn't my intent.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast