X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zardoz, Downunder Kilt,

I think that we're all a bit disappointed right now. It's easy to let things irritate us at times like this.

It's true that our little blue blimp DIDN'T get round the whole world (it didn't even get to all areas of the US). I think it probably would have, if it hadn't dropped anchor permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    With posts like some of these , I can see why Panache decided to retire the Saltire. See how divisive things become?
    People get mad, even impolite. It doesn't mean they're not united. It's just that right now we're united in disappointment I don't know Jamie's full reasoning for his actions, but it's obviously not been an easy decision for him. I doubt a little squabbling amongst the rabble is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    Just let it go folks, no point in falling out over it.

For reasons best known to himself, Jamie has decided to retire the saltire before it has had a chance to complete the trip it was supposed to do. That's his prerogative it would seem. It was fun while it lasted for those who got to play but I don't think it was prevented or excluded from getting to Australia, Asia or Africa, it just ran out of time.

I also think, the symbol of unity it carried, sadly retires with it so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I still think it was a fantastic idea but I don't think we should have a replacement for the saltire either. It just makes for disappointment when an individual decides to take their ball home and ends all the fun for everyone else. In fact, I can feel the tension in the air right now...
    John,
    I agree with everything you said, apart from the last bit (unity, and replacing the Saltire). The problem exists that any replacement would have to be something NEW, not a pale, synthetic substitute.

The Saltire was born from Jamie's love of the forum and stories. I think we CAN develop a new 'traveler', but the process should be organic, not an "OK, so whadda we use in place of the blimp" type reaction.

On a more general note:
    As far as X-Marks not being 'the same' as it used to be... nothing is. People come, go, change. New members add a new spice, the departure of others changes the flavor as well. The focus may change (lots of questions have already been answered and stickied). It's not BAD, it's life.

My thoughts on X-Marks and my time so far on the forum were recently posted HERE.

Should any of you show up 'round my deep frozen area of the world, the first round on me.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proposal for New Symbol

What say ye to a new symbol?

How about a Saltire Flag (hopefully made in Scotland) and started on a new journey from Scotland, to stop in as many countries where we have members, and at each stop attach a bit of ribbon or suitable small emblem or small flag pin that indicates where it been.

As a flag, it can be displayed at Highland Games or other events like a Burns Night Supper (or even a "Saltire Night Supper".

The host at each stop to prepare a log entry for on-line record keeping so all can read where it has been, who has seen it, and so forth.

This would seem to catch the spirit of togetherness inspired by the original AS Saltire, starting out from the original homeland of the Kilt, which is our common bond.

At the end of a year the flag could be retired to BC for display at Steve's store, and a new flag started on its way again, hopefully to new lands and new stops.

Comments please.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is quite a good idea Tom the problem would be getting a flag that is made in Scotland most are just cheap made imports
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem Acknowledged

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    That is quite a good idea Tom the problem would be getting a flag that is made in Scotland most are just cheap made imports
    Jordan,

Yes, I know. Perhaps one of our talented members could sew up something from materials woven in Scotland?

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Hay! View Post
    Jordan,

Yes, I know. Perhaps one of our talented members could sew up something from materials woven in Scotland?

Tom

That seems like the best idea I have head of cadet squadrons in my area paying up to £800 for a new high quality banner and altho a saltire one would be cheaper good quality will still cost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of issues I could see with a Saltire flag.
    1) It already IS a symbol, we'd just be co-opting it for our use rather than coming up with something new.

2) Flags are fabric, which WILL get dirty, wrinkled, etc.

3)I think it's too big. One of the nice things about the blimp was that members could tote it around. A flag needs to be unfurled to be seen, which might be a little more awkward for members to photograph in settings.

4) As a flag that already represents something, it should be treated with a measure of respect, lest we offend. I don't know if it's appropriate to have it depicted in some of the whimsical situations we all loved to see the blimp pictured in.

I also think, as I said above, that it's too soon to start pondering the replacement of the blimp. Let's give it a bit of time and see if a thought occurs naturally with a member about what (if any) the blimps replacement might be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie, I very well remember the first flight of the wee airship in the posts of this forum. And the second. To follow up with introduction of the actual airship and logbook to travel where members were located was great. Reading all the entries when she finally made it to Colorado was interesting and informative. The memories the logbook contains are priceless. Your reasons for retiring your airship are yours and as much as many of us don't like the idea, we will need to honor them. As has been mentioned, it would be great to have the log book scanned in and a pdf file here at XMarks before her retirement, or shortly after to include her final appearance.

As has been mentioned, you and Star along with your children will be missed here. Your style and Star's tutorials have been two of the best examples for our members.

If you and your fammily should ever vacation in Colorado, please let me know. Joyce and I would enjoy the honor of getting together with you, your family and showing you part of this great area.
    and, if we get to your area, we will look you up.

:blimp: ith: :ootd:
    Greg Livingston
    Commissioner
    Clan MacLea (Livingstone)

KiltShot is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a commemorative cloisonné lapel pin? This would be another way to discretely identify XMTS members.
    Many groups and organizations such as the Boy Scouts use these to commemorate events.
    There is a good selection of companies that take custom work such as this.

The decommissioning of the XMTSAS Saltire may be a good decision that creates a bad feeling. Posting the flight log may not do much to change this.

I personally would rather blame this on the TSA.

Remember: statistically speaking, the airship is still one of the safest forms of long distance travel there is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post

For all those who will post in this thread, I urged you to refrain from using adjectives like, round the world travels and international. In my opinion it is an insult to those of us in countries that have been forgotton or ingnored

The purpose of the wee airship, as far as I could see was to bring us together and allow us to see other bits of the world that we had read about on the forum, but in the end has it done that?
    Yessir, hence my previous post.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltShot View Post
    How about a commemorative cloisonné lapel pin? This would be another way to discretely identify XMTS members.
    Many groups and organizations such as the Boy Scouts use these to commemorate events.
    There is a good selection of companies that take custom work such as this.

The decommissioning of the XMTSAS Saltire may be a good decision that creates a bad feeling. Posting the flight log may not do much to change this.

I personally would rather blame this on the TSA.

Remember: statistically speaking, the airship is still one of the safest forms of long distance travel there is.
    I really do like the idea of a commemorative pin maybe a little airship?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast