X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call B*LL SH*T!

I was not yet a member here when the Saltire was created. But I am entitled to an opinion. This wee airship may have been created by an individual, but its travels made it a part of this forum, and as such it is a rotten thing for that individual to decide to retire it.

I would strongly suggest that the current forum owner or moderators commission a replacement XTMS Saltire and let it continue the journey.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there is someone flying a hot air ballon that looks like a kilted piper...just to throw out an idea. Google Image "hot air balloon kilt"
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toronto Sept 2009 SOKS welcomes the ForresterModern family:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Jamie, and all,

I got my first kilt in October 2005, and found this forum about a month later. I'm glad I did too, because my early attempts at Highland wear were pretty woeful, and the advice and photos I found here were invaluable to me.
    And yes, I recall fondly the story that inspired the wee airship, and the days of Hank and the "mod squad" as well!

I'm glad I was able to host the Saltire on her trip to Texas, on what turned out to be one of the last legs of her round the world journey.

Here's me sporting the XMTS tartan and original kilt pin, with the Saltire, my wife Shelley, and the San Jacinto Monument. A number of relics in one shot!

I hope that our airship will find a permanent home at Bicknell Grange, I always found Hamish to be a voice of calm dignity and polite evenhanded advice on the forum, and I think his photos set a standard of sartorial polish unparalleled by anyone.

It's sad that times change, but remembering the past is a part of what we do when we strap on the kilt, and the wee Saltire is part of that now.

Mark :ootd:

:blimp:
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azwildcat96 View Post
    I call B*LL SH*T!

I was not yet a member here when the Saltire was created. But I am entitled to an opinion. This wee airship may have been created by an individual, but its travels made it a part of this forum, and as such it is a rotten thing for that individual to decide to retire it.

I would strongly suggest that the current forum owner or moderators commission a replacement XTMS Saltire and let it continue the journey.
    Well, I had the same reaction. I don't understand the reasons at all. It seems to me that the little blue blimp is as relevant a symbol of the forum today as ever- even more so because she's been to so many of us! And so many more of us, including newer members, want the opportunity to be a part of her voyage! She has been a big unifying part of this community, and the way I see it, the newer members are even more reason for her to continue her voyage! I didn't my great great grandfather's thistle lapel pins- I continue to wear it generations later! Something heirloom quality gets passed down from generation to generation! Why cheat the newest generation of the X Marks clan out of this particular heirloom?

Said my peace. Here's my favorite picture from when I had briefly had her in Colorado. This is my buddy Garion of the Renaissance Scots Living History Association:

"Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    I'm glad I was able to host the Saltire on her trip to Texas, on what turned out to be one of the last legs of her round the world journey.
    :blimp:
    Zardoz and to all fellow Xmarkers, whilst the Saltire was a fine and unique idea it was never an around the world journey, in fact it never made it any further than North America, Great Britain and a couple of other western euopean countries (a quarter of the world might be more accurate)

Yes I was waiting for it to come down this way, but it always seemed to be on either side of the Atlantic, not quite in my area to pm the holder to send it across

I realise that this is a North American based web, but I thought that the kilt was truly international and broke through all international boundaries.

I have read the "Flight of the Saltire" thread and the posts expousing the international togetherness that the Saltire was to bring and bringing

For all those who will post in this thread, I urged you to refrain from using adjectives like, round the world travels and international. In my opinion it is an insult to those of us in countries that have been forgotton or ingnored

The purpose of the wee airship, as far as I could see was to bring us together and allow us to see other bits of the world that we had read about on the forum, but in the end has it done that?
    Last edited by Downunder Kilt; 23rd January 11 at 12:53 AM.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Wow, lighten up! Maybe it's not "Around the World" but I'm pretty sure going from the UK to Texas is "International"! Something international mostly means that it involves more than one nation! (I consider crossing the Texas border 'international' travel too though)
    When I received the Saltire from Jock Scot in Scotland, the mailing label even said international.
    The LZ127 Graf Zeppelin managed to fly around the world in 1929 without touching down in Australia either.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Wow, lighten up! Maybe it's not "Around the World" but I'm pretty sure going from the UK to Texas is "International"! Something international mostly means that it involves more than one nation! (I consider crossing the Texas border 'international' travel too though)
    When I received the Saltire from Jock Scot in Scotland, the mailing label even said international.
    The LZ127 Graf Zeppelin managed to fly around the world in 1929 without touching down in Australia either.
    As I said Zardoz, this in suppodedly a fully international forum not just North America, and Western Europe. Sorry if I have to spell it out but the flight of the Saltire was not truly international, just selective. It's about time some people realise the forum has members around the globe, not just their "backyard".
    Pity that 3/4 of the world was missed by the "International Around the World" Flight of the Saltire
    Last edited by Downunder Kilt; 23rd January 11 at 01:57 AM.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With posts like some of these , I can see why Panache decided to retire the Saltire. See how divisive things become?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let it go folks, no point in falling out over it.

For reasons best known to himself, Jamie has decided to retire the saltire before it has had a chance to complete the trip it was supposed to do. That's his prerogative it would seem. It was fun while it lasted for those who got to play but I don't think it was prevented or excluded from getting to Australia, Asia or Africa, it just ran out of time.

I also think, the symbol of unity it carried, sadly retires with it so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I still think it was a fantastic idea but I don't think we should have a replacement for the saltire either. It just makes for disappointment when an individual decides to take their ball home and ends all the fun for everyone else. In fact, I can feel the tension in the air right now...
    Last edited by English Bloke; 23rd January 11 at 06:19 AM.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast