X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    I had the same idea, Terry -- great minds think alike, eh? <grin>
    Yep!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Couple of things.

ONE: The "Old Guard" never really existed, people have come and gone since day one. I note that Cajunscot and I are still around, both of us are good friends with Panache, and both of us "arrived" on X marks before Panache did. I only "arrived" a couple of months before, and really "how long have you been here" is pretty unimportant, but there you go. I could name others who have been here longer. Rocky from USA Kilts comes to mind, for example.

TWO: Guys...the saltire is a piece of pine (probably) cut out on a bandsaw, with some bits and bobs glue'd to it, and painted in glossy colors. It is not a high-dollar item.

You all can talk and debate and carry on, here on the online forum and the truth is that nothing will happen until SOMEONE just sets down in their garage, or at their sewing machine, or at their leatherwork table, and just MAKES something. It had better not cost a lot of money or time, because you never know when it's going to be lost in the mail, or it's going to go to some nutter who decides that he likes it and is going to display it on his mantle and then disappears from the forum.

So talk and debate until the cows come home. Nothing is going to happen until someone does what Panache did.....just sits down and MAKES something and gets the ball rolling.
    Alan,

I'm willing to take up the gauntlet. How about a book that others have mentioned? I will be willing to do the pages, binding and prep for a cover. Another gent will tool the cover. Is anyone willing to do the metal tabs for the corners?

Idea would be the log makes it's rounds and each person puts a small "gift" in with it to the next person, such as a bookmark made out of Lamont tartan left over from my kilt being made. That person gets the bookmark and in turn puts in a rosette. The next person does a calligraphy of his/her favorite Burns poem and on and on. Similar to what geo-cashers do.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac View Post
    Idea would be the log makes it's rounds and each person puts a small "gift" in with it to the next person, such as a bookmark made out of Lamont tartan left over from my kilt being made. That person gets the bookmark and in turn puts in a rosette. The next person does a calligraphy of his/her favorite Burns poem and on and on. Similar to what geo-cashers do.
    As an avid geocacher, I will say that I do like that idea... In geocaching, the general "rule" is that IF you take something out of the cache, you replace it with something of similar or equal size and value (which should NOT be very valuable to begin with).

The reason why I like this idea so much, is that it would allow each member who receives the package to add something of PERSONAL value (even though the market value may be low) and write in the logbook what that items means to them; what it represents and why they are sending it along its way. This, to me, would be very valuable, and would certainly cherish having an inside glimpse at the lives of my XMTS clansmen.

Even as much as I would like the idea of a commemorative quaich, or another blimp, or a piece of tartan, or a banner/flag... That's all fine and good. Even if it were simply nothing more than a capsule full o' dirt from the Scottish Highlands, it would be secondary to the photos and stories contained in the logbook, from XMarkers all around the world! That's where the meaning of such a project lies.

As to those who have commented on this thread that it's "too soon" or "give it a rest" -- I have no comment. I value your opinions, and I neither agree nor disagree. Only the forum members themselves can and will decide whether it's "too soon" or not.

I suspect that of those who are proposing that we slow down and give it a rest, many have been longtime members here and perhaps have fond memories of Jamie, his short stories, the Saltire, and have even had a chance to host her... Nothing wrong with that. But as someone who has been here since summer of '08, (before Jamie began his project I think, as I remember the original thread that started it) and in spite of having expressed interest in having the Saltire travel to Japan but never had that chance, I just don't share the "not yet" sentiment.

Jamie, for his part, encouraged the current membership to do something that is meaningful to THEM, in the here and now -- and if there ARE those who wish to pick up that gauntlet, then I am all for it and eager to participate! Just say the word! To all those who feel otherwise, I say: I understand where you're coming from.

Jim D.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all members, I wholeheartly urge that something should be done and have read with intrest the suggestions thus far. I like the idea of an Xmarks flag, a quaich or something that is created by one of the members.

I hesitate at the idea of a cache where you take something out and put something in. I think in the terms of quarantine, customs, endangered species laws, just to name a few.

I am of the hope that whatever is selected can easily and smoothly travel to every country where Xmarks members reside, without having to worry about infringing upon local laws.

Just as an example, I will use CDNSushi's idea of soil from the Highlands (just using this as it's the last post I read, so I am not picking on the man) To get it into Australia it either has to be commericially bought say from a tourist shop and in an airtight sealed bottle cause if someone just digs it up it has to be declared to Quarantine authorites and irradiated to make sure that there is no nasties (at cost to the receipient )

Just some thoughts on what members should keep in the back of their minds when considering items that may become the next "traveller"
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    To all members, I wholeheartly urge that something should be done and have read with intrest the suggestions thus far. I like the idea of an Xmarks flag, a quaich or something that is created by one of the members.

I hesitate at the idea of a cache where you take something out and put something in. I think in the terms of quarantine, customs, endangered species laws, just to name a few.

I am of the hope that whatever is selected can easily and smoothly travel to every country where Xmarks members reside, without having to worry about infringing upon local laws.

Just as an example, I will use CDNSushi's idea of soil from the Highlands (just using this as it's the last post I read, so I am not picking on the man) To get it into Australia it either has to be commericially bought say from a tourist shop and in an airtight sealed bottle cause if someone just digs it up it has to be declared to Quarantine authorites and irradiated to make sure that there is no nasties (at cost to the receipient )

Just some thoughts on what members should keep in the back of their minds when considering items that may become the next "traveller"
    True the caching can be difficult but there are ways around various things such as there is a loop hole on beach sand. The Dallas Zoo has a collection of "trade" items and they explained the loop hole.

Things like a pressed leaf or flower though would cause problems. It would take some careful thought.

Jim

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

In the other thread, Alan H. makes the very good point that it won't happen until someone just does it.

I don't have the skills to make a nice flag, nor currently the funds to justify having one made. However, when I do, (& if no one else has done so), then I shall!

:ootd:
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123