X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XTMS Saltire II - Some personal thoughts & suggestions

As many other members have already expressed their disappointment at Jamie's decision to retire the XTMS Saltire airship before so many of us have had a chance to enjoy her visit, I echo the sentiments to have something take its place.

Since we should strive to learn from mistakes of the past, I'd like to humbly suggest some ways that any future endeavor of this nature may be successful.

1. The "traveler" regardless of its purveyance, should originate from the home of XMTS, which is, at the time of this writing, Steve at Freedom Kilts in B.C., Canada.

2a. Prior to embarking on its journey, I would strongly recommend having a set GOAL in mind... I.e. a checklist of places where the traveler should stop in order for its journey to succeed. Of course, the XMTS rabble should be able to request that their particular locale be added to the checklist...

2b. It would be really cool if this checklist were a part of the last page of the logbook, where members could have the pleasure of checking it off (or crossing it off) the list of places to visit.

2c. Since there are always new members joining XMTS, just because the traveler had already visited a given city/state/country, should NOT disqualify it from visiting again, and visiting other people in those areas... (It's just that you wouldn't be able to cross it off the list anymore)... The checklist would only be the indication of an ultimate GOAL -- not necessarily an itinerary to be followed.

3a. Upon completion, the original traveler could reside with Steve at his shop, but more importantly, take the logbook, which would undoubtedly contain MANY photos and handwritten comments, and take it to a publisher to get it made into a full-color, glossy paged reproduction coffee table book that all participating members could order at a price, to keep as a memento in their own homes.

3b. Likewise, whatever the nature of the "traveler," whether it be an airship or a Saltire flag, allow the XMTS members who participated to purchase a replica, just like the original that's residing in B.C., to accompany their coffee table book.

I would love to be a part of such a project! I think the significance of being able to have such a memento as a conversation piece in one's home cannot be understated, and it would undoubtedly be a treasured memory to all who chose to take part.

Feedback?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CDNsushi. Like the idea and well thought out
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, too. What if the token that went from place to place incorporated the forum flower -- the dandelion -- and the tartan?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of a new traveler. I don't want this to be viewed as a replacement to the Airship Saltire. The wee ship served it's purpose and it is now time for a new traveler to emerge.

I never had the privilege of hosting the Saltire, but would love to be on the list this time around. I also understand that "kilt nights" here in my area involve usually just one kiltie so there isn't the group factor that many of you lads enjoy.

I do like the ideas #3 and #3a.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned in Jamie's thread, I urge caution and reflection. It's too easy to jump into a "WHAT do we replace the Saltire with?" mentality.

There's nothing wrong with a replacement, but I think it should reflect OUR X-Marks (since the 'old guard' has officially departed, along with their airship).

Perhaps I'm looking for too much here, but I'd like for the process to be 'real' and meaningful, not simply a band-aid for the missing blimp.

That said, WHAT does X-Marks mean to us?

How would we best represent that, in a physical, portable form?

Perhaps it's too soon. Maybe I'm looking for 'too much' in a traveler. Maybe I'm just commitment-phobic.

Also, we DO have a way of identifying other X-markers... (several, actually) we've got the tartan (and hopefully the club tie project) as well as the X-Marks clan badge.

I'm not a big fan of the enamel blazer badge idea. Not that my opinion carries any weight...

I think that the thing that made the blimp what it was WAS that it was a 'real' creation, not just a gimmicky idol. The real pity was that it came to rest before it's time, but that's another topic entirely.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sequels rarely live up to the original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    Sequels rarely live up to the original.
    Exactly. Let's take a break from all this for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Exactly. Let's take a break from all this for a while.
    I agree.

While I favor a replacement it's a little too soon, the old "traveler" a bit too recent a memory. I have a few ideas rattling about in my head, as I'm sure others do. I'll just hang on to them for now and see what they feel like down the road.

Very good proposal Sushi. I like the idea, but the grass-roots nature of the Saltire and the fact that it just felt somehow "organic" to the site and community make me a bit leery that anything we come up with now would seem a bit contrived and forced. Perhaps, if we give it some time, a new traveler will present itself and we'll have something that is just as organic to the "new generation" of X-marks.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not the starship Enterprise...
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick the DSM View Post
    Its not the starship Enterprise...
    True. Even Kirk had to wait a while(and save Earth) to get a new one.

Of course, this could also be much like James Bond and best left alone after the retirement of the original(no offense to Roger Moore or Peirce Brosnan fans...I don't count the other guys).
    Last edited by Whidbey78; 23rd January 11 at 11:48 PM.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast