X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a small update on the Quaich.

I have asked for some quotes on a 7" Pewter Quaich. (large enough to show up in photos but small enough to be inexpensive to ship.) Our X Marks badge to be mounted inside the bowl. Around the rim I asked for some Celtic knotwork. And engraved around the bowl the words. "The Quest of the Quaich - Travelling To Share Our Love Of The Kilt With The World." I then asked for the handles to me custom molded in our Dandelions.

I requested a quote from Gaelic Themes as they were the folks who made our X Marks Badges. I need to wait till I hear back from them.

I have also approached two custom pewter makers in Sheffield, England about making our Quaich. I have two good quotes from both.

I have asked for some artwork samples and the possibility of having not only one large travelling Quaich made but perhaps some smaller ones to be made available to members as mementos.

I hope everyone likes these ideas.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 2nd February 11 at 12:20 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashing idea and follow through, Steve! Looking forward to having the Quaich to visit the Old Dominion, one day. A smaller one is now on my ‘short’ list to have at Meet Ups at the Highland Games where I host a Clan tent to offer a cup of friendship to XMarkers and others who come by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    This is a really great idea. I can assure one and all that the quaiche will be received in proper form in our area. We know how to have truly Great SEKS (South Eastern Kilt Society) when given any prompting, and the quaiche's arrival will definitely prove sufficient cause.

I shall spend the time between now and its arrival deciding which excellent vintage to share and where to celebreate.
    Here here! The Atlanta (which is to say North Georgia) crew is a great bunch of folks and I know we'll do the quaiche proud.

Also, being that I'm never far away from a trip up to Franklin NC and the Scottish Tartans Museum, I could possibly take it by hand on a kilt pilgrimage, when and if it comes to our neck of the woods.

Seattle, WA: N 47° 40' 50.109";W 122° 17' 14.7726"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I have asked for some artwork samples and the possibility of having not only one large travelling Quaich made but perhaps some smaller ones to be made available to members as mementos.
    Awesome! That would be very cool.
    The Barry

"Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis;
    voca me cum benedictis." -"Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath)

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Steve! Excellent ideas and thank you.

:ootd:
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up A Thank you!

Sometimes in the enthusiasm of getting things going we overlook the contribution that others make. I want to recognize Tom (A Hay) for his initial idea of a flag, Cowher for his idea of a sgian dubh, Detroit Pete for suggesting a banner and Todd (cajunscot) for his idea of a quaiche.

The quaiche is what Steve and we moderators took and ran with, but in the process we did not give credit where it was due.

We all owe Todd a big thanks for the idea.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEDEE View Post
    Sometimes in the enthusiasm of getting things going we overlook the contribution that others make. I want to recognize Tom (A Hay) for his initial idea of a flag, Cowher for his idea of a sgian dubh, Detroit Pete for suggesting a banner and Todd (cajunscot) for his idea of a quaiche.

The quaiche is what Steve and we moderators took and ran with, but in the process we did not give credit where it was due.

We all owe Todd a big thanks for the idea.

Brian
    A big heartfelt thanks to all who took the time to think about and put forth ideas.
    I look forward to sipping my favourite Highland Park out of it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    To anyone who wishes to include their Longitude;

Go to your User Control Panel (UserCP) by clicking the link on the navigation bar in the upper left corner of ever page of the forum.

In the left panel of your Control Panel find "Edit Your Details".

Scroll down till you find the box for "Your Location"

Enter you Longitude. For those who don't know, Longitude is your location on earth, in degrees, minutes and seconds of arc, measured east and west from Greenwich England. (note - To enter the degree sign hold down the alt key while typing 0176. Alt+0176)

To see what this will look like see my location entered in the upper right corner of this post.

If you do not know your location in Latitude and Longitude try going to google earth and putting the cursor on your house. Then read the lat/long.
    Here is a link to a pretty good Lat / Long finder that I use at work:
    http://www.robogeo.com/latlonfinder/map.asp
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant! I can only hope I one day will be able to host the quaich.

Great work everyone this sounds perfect.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another good locater/site:
    http://www.stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast