X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Quest of the Quaich

The Scottish Quaich is a drinking vessel used to share "a wee dram" among friends. In this spirit we are announcing "The Quest of the Quaich".

We have commissioned a custom made Quaich with our X Marks Crest in the bottom and some custom engraving.

The goal of "The Quest of the Quaich" will be to travel the entire globe, to visit and share our love of the kilt with as many members and others as possible.

Accompanying the Quaich will be a logbook, covered with the X Marks Tartan. Everyone who shares the Quaich can sign the logbook as a record of that sharing. In the back of the logbook will be a fold out world map to track the Quaich on its Quest.

Because we have a saying here on X Marks, "If there are no pics, it didn't happen", We have set up this special forum section for our members to share their pictures and experiences with the entire forum.

It has been suggested that we try to keep the Quaich moving by asking that no one keep the Quaich longer than two weeks before sending it on.

To ensure the Quest achieves its global scope it has also been suggested that for the first year the Quaich is sent only in a Westerly direction. During the second year it can be reversed to an Easterly direction. It is hoped that by doing this every continent, and eventually every country, where X Markers are located will be included in the Quaich's travels.

Another suggestion is that as soon as someone gets the Quaich they begin to plan who they will send it to next. By posting its next destination in this thread those in the next area will have ample time to arrange a Kilt Night or other event to host it.
    What if you are in a remote area or there are no other members to hold a Kilt Night? Well, share it with whoever you can. Have a dinner out and share it with the staff. Attend your local Highland Games and share it with other participants. Take the Quaich to your favorite scenic spot and share it with anyone else there.
    It should be about our sharing our love for the kilt with the world.

Another suggestion is for our members to link the logbook pages to the post number where the pictures are. This way when you look at the pages of signatures you can reference directly to the associated photos.

To assist anyone who should incur extra shipping costs due to international rates they may submit a copy of the shipping receipt to Steve Ashton who will reimburse them for the additional costs.

We will ask that the Quaich and logbook be returned to Steve Ashton at least once a year. This is only to allow him to scan the pages of the logbook and post them to this thread. It will also allow him to replace the logbook if it is becoming full or repair it if it is becoming travel worn.
    By scanning the pages of the logbook and posting them, if the book should ever be lost or damaged, we will always have the record here for everyone to enjoy.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 23rd October 14 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Steve, and all those who have worked on this. Awesome stuff!

There will be a proper reception for the quaich when it eventually reaches my corner of the world.

In the spirit of the "quest," I've decided to go one one. I'm already looking forward to enjoying a "wee dram" at the top of Mt. Fuji, Japan, along with any who will be there to join me when the quaich comes my way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look foreword to the tasty vessel coming my way! Great Idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Steve,

I'm sure you have been reading the various posts on this subject. It appears that you have distilled the best ideas into a solution I for one, heartily agree with.

I look forward to following its travels around the globe and hope that those fortunate enough to receive it will do so in the spirit of its intended purpose.

Having once been entrusted with the Saltire, I did feel a weight of responsibility, but also of great honor.

Many thanks to you for undertaking this new quest.

Tom
    A_Hay!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Tis surely a grand idea!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it gets 'round my way (which, if it's traveling to the west, may be close to a year) I'll have to buy a special bottle. Hey, it's a good excuse, right?
    ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an excellent idea made most excellent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a collector of Quaichs I think this is really cool. The Wisconsin Rabble can do it proud if it comes our way. Maybe a whiskey tasting to honor it and X Marks. Great idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. As soon as I read of the retiring of the little airship my first thought was of a traveling parting glass. It it a very tradition item in both Scotland and Ireland. Both culture have folk songs about the custom and use of them. Might I suggest the words to the Scottish and Irish songs be included on the inside cover of the log, in case they caretakers have the urge to breakout in song after using it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou Steve and all members who have contributed to the threads regarding this topic. This is a most excellent result.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast