X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I am not mistaken then hose in the above c. 1910 photograph are actually cadadh made from tartan cloth, rather than knit. Interesting to see them being worn so late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting

I find it interesting that the last adult photo that Terry posted, looks very similar to some of the watercolors of MacLeay! The gentleman seems to be dressed in clothing and accessories inconsistent with the setting. Without knowing the true story, I assume it is an example of either someone dressed up and posing for the photo "out in yard", or someone taking a break from a day event, such as a wedding, getting their picture taken.

Any information about the person or the photo?

Thanks again for posting these.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan's son View Post
    I find it interesting that the last adult photo that Terry posted, looks very similar to some of the watercolors of MacLeay! The gentleman seems to be dressed in clothing and accessories inconsistent with the setting. Without knowing the true story, I assume it is an example of either someone dressed up and posing for the photo "out in yard", or someone taking a break from a day event, such as a wedding, getting their picture taken.

Any information about the person or the photo?

Thanks again for posting these.
    The gentleman is George MacDonald, Bunacaimb, Morar, also photographed by Miss M E M Donaldson about 1910. The caption of the photo (from the book Tartan by Hugh Cheape) reads:

"It was unusual for country folk to possess Highland dress of such quality, but as a successful piper (MacDonald) had the wardrobe compulsory for competition piping in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I should point out that in the photos I posted no belts, buckles, or other "finery" makes any appearance. Most of the men are wearing quite plain brown or grey jackets, jackets so ordinary that we don't see them worn with kilts often today.

Actually there's one bit of finery, the relic brooch being held and displayed (not being worn) by one man.

Three things stand out in these images which differentiate their plain dress from 20th century "day" dress

1) wearing plaids wrapped around the body rather than sitting on one shoulder per the 20th century style (the so called "laird's plaid")

2) wearing long hair sporrans with plain dress. I point out that these long hair sporrans were the common style of the day and were worn with all modes of dress. We today expect the plain leather pocket "day" sporrans with ordinary dress but these aren't seen at that time, and it's anachronistic for us to expect mid-19th century men to follow 20th century styles and wear 20th century things.

3) wearing tartan or diced hose with plain dress. Yes in the early 20th century Highland dress became compartmentalised with tartan or diced hose reserved for evening, but again we need to guard against projecting 20th century styles on the mid 19th century. Note, by the way, that the tartan hose are usually of a different tartan than the kilt.
    Along with the ones posted at the start of this thread, two of my favourites are below
    (sorry I don't have larger images):

James Morgan

Duncan MacGregor
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rest of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    The gentleman is George MacDonald, Bunacaimb, Morar, also photographed by Miss M E M Donaldson about 1910. The caption of the photo (from the book Tartan by Hugh Cheape) reads:

"It was unusual for country folk to possess Highland dress of such quality, but as a successful piper (MacDonald) had the wardrobe compulsory for competition piping in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
    Thanks Terry.

Another example of how the photo, watercolor, or what have you is often times not the whole story, but rather, something that needs to be seen in context to really be understood.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Terry.

Another example of how the photo, watercolor, or what have you is often times not the whole story, but rather, something that needs to be seen in context to really be understood.

Thanks again.
    Your very welcome!

And I apologize for not adding the caption earlier. I meant to, but I'm still a bit under the weather from my recent illness, and was just plain tuckered out (the other portion I had on file & just needed to cut & paste ).

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing the true story, I assume it is an example of either someone dressed up and posing for the photo "out in yard",
    I wouldn't know anything about getting dressed up and posing for photos out in the yard.... ;-)

This is how all small-time backyard chicken farmers dress, isn't it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great images! Now, if only someone would reproduce the simple jacket and vest sets seen in these pics. They are basically shortened versions of the common sack-coat of the mid-1800s....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bet that most of the suppliers of Civil War reenactment clothing could do that fairly easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
    I'd bet that most of the suppliers of Civil War reenactment clothing could do that fairly easily.
    Blockade Runner would be one.

(they use to have a page that showed their custom order jackets/coats, but I don't see it anymore.)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345