X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood for Sgian Dubh

After a mini hurricane we had in Edinburgh the other day, I found a large cherry tree in the Meadows Park outside my flat had been blown over.
    I managed to get a thick branch from it which I'd love to make into a sgian dubh handle.
    Do I need to treat the wood in anyway before using it? Do I need to dry it out first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should dry out the wood to at least 12% before using. Anything less and you risk shinkae and cracking.

You might find a shop in your area that offers air drying to custumers. If not the best way is to coat the end in wax or varnish and begin the waiting game. It can take a while.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big a branch did you get?

Green lumber is typically sawn into two or three inch thick planks while fresh and then air dryed or kiln dried down to 12%.

With minimal tools at home and a maximum diameter under 8" or so I would split it into quarters or sixths or so, maybe eighths. Stack the wedge shaped pieces with cross sticks of some kind so that the cherry wood is mostly exposed to air and not touching other pieces of itself.

Do peel off at least some of the bark - as it starts to dry peel off the rest. I haven't worked with cherry specifically, but I too would be inclined to coat the end grain with either melted wax or several coasts of a latex paint.

If the wood dries unevenly, it will split and crack. Taking off the bark will help the length of each piece give off water all directions. Sealing up the endgrain will help the ends of each piece give off their water teh same way teh middle does, the ends are less likely to crack this way.

Cover the stack with plastic (maybe a shower curtain?) to keep the rain off and keep it outdoors. The first few months rotate the stack every week or two. By autumn of 2011 you can maybe take out and burn the pieces that split anyway, stack up what is left neatly and maybe only rotate the stack once during the winter of 2011-2012.

I would likely leave it outdoors over the summer of 2012 (esp if you have central air conditioning) and get a second opinion before you bring it indoors the autumn of 2012. You'll have plenty of time to get a second opinion from someone local to you with experience before then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not that big of a piece really. Its at home and I havnt measured it, but Id say its roughly 4ft long and about 4" or 5" in diameter.
    Thought I might be able to get enough out of it for a few handles. Although it does sound like a lot of work to prepare it. I just liked the idea of making a sgian dubh using wood with some history to it.
    I think Id be better trying to get a nice piece of timber to use instead
    Thanks for your advice though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be that you could trade the limb you found to a carver or turner in exchange for an already-dry piece to carve a sgian handle from.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    It might be that you could trade the limb you found to a carver or turner in exchange for an already-dry piece to carve a sgian handle from.

Yup, I was thinking that as I typed above. Seasoning wood is not difficult, but it is time consuming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno if true but am told the best bagpipe makers season their African blackwood for 10 years before making the pipes....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would happen if i carved the raw wood? surely a small piece wouldnt crack and warp too much once it drys?
    That may be a stupid question, but Im pretty new to all this!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a lot of pruning on my one cherry tree a couple of years ago and kept several of the large branches with exactly the same idea in mind.

They've been down in the basement for a couple of years ageing and drying...I did see that drying would be the correct procedure to follow before trying to use any of it.

Instrument builders have an even tougher time of it. I remember seeing photos of wood destined for the building of guitars stacked and drying in a temperature and humidity controled warehouse...very impressive and very expen$ive.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After drying native cherry (Prunus Serotina) and working with it quite a bit, I think you should not give up too quickly. Having something you make yourself out of wood whose history is important to you is invaluable.

Yes, it make take time. You might cut your 4 ft length in two to make it more manageable, but do seal the ends. I have had very good luck putting it in the attic, where it gets very warm and very dry up under the roof. A good dry summer might get you close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast