X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No British regiment were given battle honours for the American War of Independence-even though we won most of the battles outnumbered 3 to 1 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Yes, the US Army did emulate the French -- but also the British as well, specifically in regards to the regimental system of organization, the use of a National Colour and Regimental Colour, etc.

Which medals do you refer to, btw? The US Armed Forces did not adopt any formal system of awards and decorations until the establishment of the Medal of Honor during the Civil War; the "campaign medal" didn't come about until after the Spanish-American War.

During the Indian Campaigns of the late 19th century, the US Army adopted much from the Prussians, including the spiked helmet (also worn by the British Army) -- a US military attache at the American embassy in Paris was mobbed after the Franco-Prussian War for wearing one, for obvious reasons.

And whilst some Americans might have viewed Highlanders as the enemy, the regimental history of the Royal Highland Regiment specifically states that the Black Watch took no battle honours for the Revolution because it was a war between "kith and kin".

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    That would be the 93rd...who were wearing trews at Chalmette. There's a great scene in the 1950s version of The Buccaneer where a "dirtyshirt" says of the pipes, "They give me the willies" -- to which, Andy Jackson (played by Charlton Heston, a kiltie from the Clan Fraser) replies, "That's the general idea".

Had the 93rd gotten the support it needed when it temporarily took an American redoubt at New Orleans, things might be a bit different today.

T.
    Charlton Heston- yes that is the movie! And I remember that very line too. But don't forget that battle was fought some weeks after the war was over, or so we Canucks were told in school!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confederate (pre-war)

From the Osprey Publishing series Men-at-Arms, The Confederate Army 1861-1865: South Carolina & Mississippi, pp. 4-5 under the sub-heading Uniformed Volunteer Militia:
    Of several Scottish Charleston companies the oldest was the Union Light Infantry, formed at the Carolina Coffee House during 1807. Named in honor of the union of Scotland with England in 1707, this "Lowland" corps maintained a Scottish style of dress throughout its existence. A veteran writing to the New York Scottish American Journal in 1870 commented that it's pre-war uniform included "the tartan plaid and pants and bonnet of the [British Army's] 42nd Highlanders, and gilt thistle buttons on their coats." Another company, called the Highland Guard, was established during 1857. Still in existence on the eve of the Civil War, this unit wore a full highland uniform even closer to that of the 42nd (Highland) Regt: a bearskin bonnet with red plume, scarlet doublet with dark blue facings, and kilt of black and green Government sett ("Black Watch" tartan).
    Keep in mind that when the militia were absorbed into the Confederate army, whatever unique uniforms they had would have been replaced with the standard uniform provided by their state.

EDITED to add: I know one of the Irish militia companies was wearing its green uniforms at the mass of South Carolina militias at Fort Sumter, so it is possible that one of these Charleston Scottish companies was wearing a Highland uniform at that engagement. It is very highly doubtful that they would have at any time after that.
    Last edited by SlackerDrummer; 14th February 11 at 12:06 PM.
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonman View Post
    Confederate raiders came down from Canada in mid-Civil War and shot up the town of St Albans Vermont - which must have been rather a surprise for the locals. Can't have helped relations with Canada much.

And of course we got substantial Fenian Raids in return - with casualties on both sides - mostly ours. But the member who provided the link to the 79th New York Volunteers opened my eyes. Fascinating, surprising reading.
    St Albans is a town I pass through regularly, and since obtaining a Confederate-look kepi I've been tempted to wear one around the old part of town there, on the anniversary of the big raid- but in consideration of current events, haven't- out of fear I'll be banned at the border as a terrorist. There's a movie about that raid too, called the St Albans Raid!

Don't know how the Fenian Raids went in your part of Canada, but when those supposedly tough Union Army Irish vets showed up in my part of it, and there was some warning received from US officials, they got their butts shot off by the local farm boys and retreated ingloriously, leaving their dead behind.
    Last edited by Lallans; 14th February 11 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot how to spell kepi

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanciankent View Post
    No British regiment were given battle honours for the American War of Independence-even though we won most of the battles outnumbered 3 to 1 or more.
    That probably is the result of the fact that you lost the war. Militaries are not real big on rewarding or condoning the "nice effort, we'll get them next time" thought process.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    That probably is the result of the fact that you lost the war. Militaries are not real big on rewarding or condoning the "nice effort, we'll get them next time" thought process.
    Actually, if you read the regimental history of the Black Watch, the sentiment was one of not celebrating a victory between family, i.e. "kith and kin". I know in this day and age, and in a society that values winning, we tend to view things in a more cynical eye, but in a British sense, honour comes just as much from playing the game as it does from taking the trophy.

And of course, there are a number of examples of Americans celebrating military defeats -- the 7th Cavalry and the Little Bighorn, the Alamo, the Dade Massacre -- even Pearl Harbor and the Philippines.

T.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanciankent View Post
    Oh yes...my point was that the RHR specifically stated it was because of the fraticidal nature of the War itself.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread, to say the least! I really must say, regarding this thread and many others, how much I have come to appreciate the posts by cajunscot. The insight and "longer view" which they have put at the disposal of this board are valuable and instructive. I am indebted to his breadth of knowledge, access to credible sources, and willingness to share.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    One of my fellow teachers is a CSA reenactor and recently told me a story about the 79th New York wearing kilts into battle, but the aprons kept getting caught in thorns. They switched to tartan trousers, but the fabric still got caught. They then switched to regular-issue uniform britches, which didn't get caught in thorns.

I don't know if there's any truth to the story, but it's interesting to think about.
    Wrong. No kilts were worn in combat during the Amer. Civil War, and that includes the 79th NY. Why won't this notion die...?
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Wrong. No kilts were worn in combat during the Amer. Civil War, and that includes the 79th NY. Why won't this notion die...?
    It's a spin off from an Urban Legend, but in this case - a kilt legend!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast