X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Poll Deleted not for public view

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Closed

0 0%
  • Closed

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering how large the wearer is. 14 meters is an almost unheard of amount of material to use in a kilt -- nearly double the average!

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    I'm wondering how large the wearer is. 14 meters is an almost unheard of amount of material to use in a kilt -- nearly double the average!
    From the pictures he looks an average sort of guy!

I've been thinking about the sense of this, and it is a little bewildering, it's roughly equivalent to 2 normal kilts or almost 4 of your 4yd kilts, that is an incredible amount of weight to carry, even if we don't know if it is 16oz or 13 oz .
    The cost of making for the kiltmaker would a serious consideration as well. I know when I am sewing the last few pleats (on my lap )how heavy the fabric is.... twice that and I would need a lot of extra support, and how grateful I would be when I finished sewing.

I think if I asked I was asked to make a kilt with that quantity of fabric I would seriously have to consider the reasons why so much was needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rabinnical tartan? It's a gezunt, I think.

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE THIS!!! I can't wait to see it and the pictures.....Its seems a touch of Kabala is also mixed into the construction (Kabala Kilt?). This is really fantastic and exciting! Please hurry with the photos!! I'm located in Sacramento and would love to drive down and see it in person!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I clicked on this link with high hopes yet low expectations, but WOW, that kilt is EXACTLY what I was hoping! Full of significance, unique in style and construction, and a worthy piece of art right from the get go. I'm not jewish but I have nothing but respect for a religion able to preserve and maintain such strict and ancient customs and traditions and express them in a contemporary way. This kilt looks to be visually impressive to even a lay person ignorant of kilts, an item of fascination for those familiar with kilts, and rich in meaning for those of jewish faith. Very difficult to pull off a work of art that hits on all those levels. Well done!

Lodi, California, U.S.A. (Northern California)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answers to your questions

Thank you for all your comments. I will attempt to answer as many questions and I can recall.

To Mr. Paul Henry, a professional kiltmaker, the length of tartan employed is equivalent to about one-and-ahalf kilts, if you consider that all my kilts are made with no less than 9 yards of tartan. By the way, many thanks for being so gracious and amicable during our communication earlier today. I sincerely appreciate your comments and advise. I know that some kilts are made with as little as 4 to 6 yards;is such case, the tartan used on my kilt would equate the length of 3 to 4 kilts. The cost is beyond extraordinary, but the results and no less than inpresively remarkable. You get what you pay for!

How much Tartan? - 14 metres (Mr. Jordan and Llywd)
    To Spartan Tartan, You are too kind! I am obliged!

In what weight is the tartan woven? 16 ounce,double wide

To Mr. Jordan - When I was developing the design with a professioal tartan designer and kiltmaker, I too, shared your skepticism and have my doubts of wether the concept would ever become a reality. It did! It is a reality! All to the credit of the kiltmaker: Mr. Gary JM Berreth of White Thistle Tarta Designs and Kiltmakers. I guess his over 35 years of experience proved me wrong! Excellent comment! Thank you!

How many pleats? (by Mr. McFarkus) 56

Does the number fifty six have any religious significance? (by Mr. McFarkus)Short answer -Aye, for more please visit the website dedicated to explaing all its meanings. http://www.californiabagpiper.com/id56.html

How big is the wearer? (by Mr. Newsome) Waist size 38 inches, 5 feet 8 1/2 inches in stature, 185 lbs weight.

Does it have a touch of Kabbalah? (by NorCal Piper) Most certainly, REAL Kabbalah! But not exclusively. In addition to Gematria and referencces to the Tanakh, Mishnah, Gemarah, the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmuds and Midrashim. Yet another excellent question!

With that much tartan and that manyy pleats, most people who have not seen the kilts (one military, one dress) would imagine the wearer to be stout and rotund. Not so. I am sorry if you expected someone much bigger.

How heavy is it? - from "Birthday suit" to full military, including hose broghs, hose flashes, Military Tunic, piper's plaid, belt and cross belt, sghian duhb, Full size dirk, custom-made silver kilt pin, Commisioned Officer's red sash and head gear (feather bonnet, Glengarry, Balmoral of Pith Helmet, head gear's weight is negligible by now) = 44 lbs. To that we add the weight of the bagpipes.

Many thanks to Jason and NorCal piper for their comments. You both live near me and are welcome to come to visit my home and will honored to receive you as my guests for tea and pastries, or a wee dram from my extensive collection of fine Single Malt Whiskeys. You can then see the kilt with with your own eyes, inside and outside and the suberp workmanship.
    If interested in a personal visit, please contact me and I will give you my address, phone and directions. I promise to make it worth your time. DO brigh your bagipes, too, for a jamming session! (if you are passig by Lodi, CA, cal me and stop by, I have 7 sets of bagpipes, always ready to play!

As I stated before, for more information, please visit: http://www.californiabagpiper.com/id56.html

I am in the process of launching a website (cunrrently under construction) which photographically chronicles the entire construction of this kilt; from opening the bolt, to the last steam stitch. I will be available in English, Spanish, Hebrew, Frenh, German, Yiddish, Ladino and Italian (perhaps even Gaelic). Once the site is launched and running, it will be announed on this forum.

It might inerests only a few of you that I have gone to piping performance, fully dressed, riding a deluxe cruiser motorcycle. Just place the aprons over the tank and use two strong magnets. It works, evenr at 70 mph. Pictures of this will be posted soon.

Thank you for al the questions. Any constructive criticism is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rabbi Dr. Raphael Pazo
    Rabbi_Pazo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For information to those who wonder where the thread went.

The thread was moved to holding pending discussion upon an embedded link and the original has been edited with permission.

It is now returned to the open forum.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to see the thread back and to have so many great questions answered. This is fascinating. I hope Rabbi Pazo will eventually post photos of the kilt.
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, really interesting and intricate design. I enjoyed reading about the concept and how it was made into a tartan. Nice job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi_Pazo View Post
    ...(the pleats are 1.12 cm and reach from side to side, begining and ending on precisely under the belth buckles)....
    Is this right? Do you mean the strap buckles? If not, that would explain how you get so many pleats.
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast