X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varied responses this weekend

I hit the streets kilted in my black Survival Utilikilt Saturday for a few errands and some lunch with my best gal by my side. First stop: WalMart. Yeah, I know. Going there on a good day is iffy at best but in a kilt, well… Picking up the things I needed, I see a guy trying, no so subtlety, to grab a photo with his phone. I laughed it off and carried on. Around the next isle, there he was again snapping away. I almost struck a pose for him but ended up ignoring him. Next stop: Lunch at a local watering hole. I was warmly greeted with a hearty welcome, a handshake and numerous compliments on my kilt from all the staff. Good food, by best gal and Guinness, it doesn’t get much better than that. The last stop took us to another retailer. The friendly associate asked, “Are you part of those Highland Games?” A polite “no” was my answer. She then asked if I was Scottish to which I replied, “No, just comfortable.” At this point she blushed a bit and said she liked all the pockets and went on about her other duties. My wife asked if I like all the attention the kilt brings. I thought for a moment and reflected on the wide gamut of the day’s experiences and I had to say that, yes, I kinda do enjoy being ‘different.’ As I mentioned in one of my original posts, I have no family tartan to sport or rich heritage to carry on. I chose wear a kilt for comfort and, as an added benefit, a statement of originality. At 56 I don’t much care what people think about what I wear or how I wear it so I’ll be content to don my non-traditional kilts, sandals or boots and a golf shirt and smile to myself as I continue to keep folks wondering about the odd, old guy with the ‘man-skirt.’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your tale.

Just a thought about the walmart guy taking pictures--maybe he was taking them to show his wife/girlfriend how good it looks Or so he could go home and find something similar for himself. Just a thought...

Danaidh is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Survivor is by far the best one UK makes. It's my favorite followed by the Workman. Try this next time you go out with your girlfriend: Have her walk six paces behind and take pictures of the people who react to you. I once got ahead of my old girlfriend while walking and she had the most fun watching it all (I didn't notice at all).
    You're not different...that is, no different than any of us here! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A confident gentleman sir...go kilted.
    KD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore my kilt for the first time in public today to Target. To my surprise i didn't get anyone say anything to me. I had one guy stare at me as we walked by each other then that just glances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post

Just a thought about the walmart guy taking pictures--maybe he was taking them to show his wife/girlfriend how good it looks Or so he could go home and find something similar for himself. Just a thought...
    OR he wanted to make a submission to People Of Walmart...

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

A quick search for "Kilt" comes up with a guy in a UK and a cookie monster shirt... and some other, very, very scary images (you have been warned).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Neighbor, Survivor is my favorite UK. Sounds like a pretty typical outing.

If you dig into your family tree a bit deeper you're bound to find a Scot lurking...they did get around.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of what I find peculiar to the kilted thing is that if you were wearing anything else, people would most likely not say one frickin' word...but somehow if you're wearing a kilt it's open season on you. Why this is, I do not know but everybody with a comment seems to think that they have some kind of right to voice it loud and clear.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    OR he wanted to make a submission to People Of Walmart...

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

A quick search for "Kilt" comes up with a guy in a UK and a cookie monster shirt... and some other, very, very scary images (you have been warned).
    Admittedly, this was my first thought. But I figured why not explore a new possible explaination?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post

Or post the pictures on the People of Walmart site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast